Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Visit the largest seal colony in the North Island
- Visit a Lord of the Rings site at Kaitoke
- View the beautiful Cape Palliser Bay Lighthouse
- Enjoy lunch at the historic Lake Ferry Hotel
- Delight in wine tastings in Martinborough
Departure & Return
Tour will depart from the Wellington i-SITE tour bus stop, just down from the Wellington i-SITE on Wakefield Street.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Continue on to find Middle-earth’s Great River Anduin and visit Kaitoke Park, aka Rivendell. See where Frodo recuperated from his sword attack by the Ringwraiths and, if you’re feeling adventurous, cross a swing bridge suspended over the rushing river below.
Your guide remarks on the area’s natural landmarks as you journey through the Rimutaka and Tararua ranges and the country towns of Featherston and Martinborough. You’ll have time for lunch in Lake Ferry, provided at a waterfront inn.
Then continue your tour through the lovely coastal scenery of Cape Palliser Bay, where you’ll get up close to the largest fur seal colony in the North Island. If you wish, huff up the 250 steps to Cape Palliser Lighthouse for more spectacular views.
Then relax on the return drive to Wellington, stopping for wine tasting at a Martinborough winery, including the region’s prized pinot noir, before hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking, unless booked within 5 days of travel. In this case confirmation will be received within 48 hours, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 5 travelers
- OPERATED BY Hammonds Wellington Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- "The pick up point was just 5 mins away from my apartment, how hard is it to just drive in front of my building?" See review