- Tour of the Footwhistle glowworm caves at Waitomo
- Take a short walk through New Zealand bushland and see native birds, ferns and waterfalls
- Gawk at glowworms, ancient Moa bird bones, stalactites and stalagmites in a majestic underground chamber
- Learn from your knowledgeable guide about the cave’s history, glowworms and other insect life
- See the famous Footwhistle flowstone formation, which looks like a frozen waterfall!
- Small-group tour provides an intimate and personalized experience with your guide
Departure & Return
Our meeting point is at the Loading Zone in the Waitomo Caves Village. Next to the Waitomo Caves I-Site The best way to find us is to use google maps and type in Caveworld, Waitomo
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Look up at a starry glow emitted by tiny glowworms before continuing into a side passage where you’ll marvel at the bones of a now-extinct moa — a flightless bird that inhabited New Zealand centuries ago. Creeping through the otherworldly terrain of the Footwhistle cave system, you’ll pass by dripping stalactite and stalagmite formations and a subterranean stream.
Take a seat in the largest chamber and watch as your guide demonstrates how the first cave tours were conducted more than 100 years ago. Be mesmerized by the brief flare of a magnesium torch that flashes on rock sculptures and the dome-shaped ceiling before fading back into darkness.
After you make your way back to the cave entrance, your 1-hour tour ends with the return shuttle ride to the CaveWorld office.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Walking Shoes
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Warm clothing
- Camera or Video
- NO infants 0-4 years old permitted on tour
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Not reccommended for those who with hip or knee problems
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Cave World Waitomo
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.