- Discover New Zealand's famous Waitomo Glowworm Caves on a guided boat trip
- Learn the science behind these mysterious glowing creatures, known as 'Arachnocampa luminosa'
- Marvel at a virtual 'constellation' of glowworms above your head in the Glowworm Grotto
- Explore this massive cave complex on foot, including a chance to visit Cathedral Cave
- Hear about the geology and history of the caves from your guide
- Once-in-a-lifetime experience
- Great way to explore the unique natural beauty of New Zealand
Departure & Return
Departure PointWaitomo Caves, Waitomo Caves, Waitomo District, Waikato Region, North Island
Departure Point: Waitomo Glowworm Caves Visitor Centre Address: 39 Waitomo Village Road, Waitomo Dates: Daily
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your glowworm experience by exploring the giant cave complex on foot, stopping to visit its ‘Cathedral Cave,’ a site renowned for its unique acoustics and striking cave features. Then step aboard your boat to continue your adventure.
You’ll silently cruise through the Glowworm Grotto, marveling at the star-like constellation of bioluminescent insects that seem to twinkle like an eerie blue version of the nighttime sky. Your guide will provide details about the insects themselves, known by their scientific name of Arachnocampa luminosa, and share insights into the geologic and historical background of the cave complex.
Leave the caves after your 45-minute underground journey, still marveling at the mysterious beauty of these surprising insects.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Bring comfortable waking shoes and a warm jacket
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 23 travelers
- OPERATED BY THL - Waitomo Caves Group
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
See all safety measures taken by Waitomo Glowworm Caves Guided Tour.
- "I understand that one person can ruin it for the whole group by taking flash photography, but GoPros should be allowed since they are not flash photos or you can take video quietly." See review
- "It would be nice if the boat trip was a bit longer and if, when asked by the tour guide to have silence, the women could stop whispering in the boat." See review