- Fun and exhilarating, this caving adventure will have you floating, squeezing and leaping over cascading underground waterfalls
- Choose between the Labyrinth tour, a 3-hour cave tubing adventure or the 5-hour Black Abyss tour for the ultimate thrill
- Includes all necessary equipment
- Wetsuits and footwear will be provided
Departure & Return
Departure Point: Waitomo Homestead, 584 State Highway 3, Waitomo 3977 Directions: Driving Directions: • SH 1 from Auckland to Hamilton Turn right SH 3 to Otorohanga • Follow SH 3 to Waitomo Caves, the Waitomo Homestead will be on your right Return point: Returns to original departure point
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
If you choose The Labyrinth, you’ll experience walking and caving along with a small waterfall jump. Upgrade to The Black Abyss and start your invigorating journey with a rappel into the subterranean playground with your guide while suited up in helmet, boots and safety equipment. (See options below.)
Prepare to be awed by a magnificent display of glowworms in addition to stalactites and stalagmites that decorate the cavern walls as you traverse through the black water. At the end of your exhilarating journey through Waitomo’s vaulted limestone galleries, enjoy a hot shower, hearty soup and bagel.
The Labyrinth (3 Hours)Float on your inner tube through the remarkable underground river system at Waitomo Caves. Ride a stream that twists and turns through a canyon, and tumble down a hidden waterfall and rock slide before emerging into the sun-dappled Waitomo forest.
The Black Abyss (5 Hours)Those with a moderate level of fitness can up the ante on this Waitomo tubing adventure. After abseiling training and practice with your guide, you’ll rappel 121 feet (37 meters) into the black water–filled abyss. Enjoy adrenaline-fueled fun as you clamber down, float through the canyon and scramble up waterfalls before resurfacing into daylight.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- All participants on this tour must weigh at least 45 kilograms
- Water temperature is approximately 10 degrees Celsius
- The Waitomo Caves are located 121 miles (195 km) from Auckland. Rountrip transport from Auckland is not included
- Please note: the minimum age for following tours are:
- The Black Abyss: 16 years of age
- The Labyrinth: 12 years of age
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Please note: the Black Labyrinth tour is a beginner level caving adventure, almost anyone can give it a go!
- Bring swimwear & a towel
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY THL - Waitomo Caves Group
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands