- Nam Ngum Lake day trip from Vientiane
- Soak up the rural surroundings outside the city
- Visit the archaeological ruins of Vang Xang
- Take a boat ride on the reservoir
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
We can pick up from only hotels in Vientiane, Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
What To Expect
Arrive at the lake in the late morning, and enjoy a relaxing meal at a restaurant overlooking the water. Learn from your guide about the efforts that have gone into preserving this weekend and holiday destination for locals who like to visit to escape the Laos capital. You’ll also hear about the dam and hydroelectric power station. Originally part of the Nam Ngum River until the dam was erected in 1971, the deep green lake covers an area of 100 square miles (250 square km).
Hop aboard a traditional-style boat for a 1-hour ride across the pristine waters before making the drive back to Vientiane along a different route that includes a stop in the community of Ban Keun (near Phou Khao Khoauy), where locals engage in the traditional process of salt winning. Your day trip ends with return to the city for hotel drop-off.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- This tour is operated on full private basis with English-speaking guide. Other languages are on request / subject to availability and supplementary charges may apply.
- Return transfers for this excursion apply only / are inclusive for customers staying in and inside Vientiane. Transfers outside these areas, including any accommodation outside this area such as Ngam Num Lake, Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, and Vientiane International Airport are excluded. Supplements apply for customers who want to join this excursion outside one of these regions.
- We will do all possible to comply with any dietary requirements during this excursion; it may not always be possible to confirm your wishes in advance based on the choice of lunch address.
- We always will make efforts to confirm the exact pick-up time upon reservation. For any operational issues in which are not able to confirm the exact pick-up time in advance, we reserve the right to inform you the day before the departure of the tour.
- Please note pick-up and drop-off services may not be confirmed for customers staying at private residences, apartment complexes, or other non-registered tourism accommodations. Customers may be asked to meet at a nearby hotel for pick-up and drop off.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Natural elements of any kind have a destructive effect on electronic equipment. It is the customer’s own responsibility to ensure that any camera, mobile telephone or other device is properly wrapped and protected against these elements. We cannot be held responsible in any way for negligence and/or not following suggestions for any damage related to this.
- Please ensure that you bring sunglasses, a hat /cap and sunblock with a high SPF factor when traveling with us on this tour – even when it is cloudy, the sunrays still have an immense power.
- The protection of the country’s flora and fauna is of immense importance for us. We will not pursue any activities for guests that are not in line with our animal, wildlife and environment protection principles.
- It is the responsibility of the customer to provide us with the correct hotel information, should pick-up and drop-off services be included in the package. Any changes in accommodation outside 24 hours will be handled accordingly: changes within 24 hours may be on request.
- In the event of no-show or change of accommodation without prior consent and confirmation from us within 24 hours may result in the applicable cancellation charges as outlined in the terms and conditions.
- Customers are reminded to submit their passport number and expiration date with their reservation. These are essential requirements as outlined by local immigration regulations.
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Asian Trails LTD
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by A Day Out and About at Nam Ngum Lake.
- "Makes for a very long day of driving as a day trip from Vientiane." See review