8 hours (Approx.)
Offered in: English
Good for avoiding crowds
Trek across stark volcanic terrain on the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, one of New Zealand’s Great Walks. This independent day hike takes you past Mt Tongariro with an optional side trip to the summit of Mt Ngauruhoe, located within the World Heritage area of Tongariro National Park. You’re provided with a round-trip transfer, map and information sheet to prepare you for the 6- to 10-hour trek. Early morning shuttle service is available from your accommodation in Taupo or Turangi, or from the Base Camp or Ketetahi parking lots.
- Tongariro Alpine Crossing self-guided day hike
- Trek through the volcanic landscape of Tongariro National Park
- Climb the Red Crater and descend to the Emerald Lakes
- Map and information sheet provided
- Includes shuttle service from hotels or parking lots, depending on option selected
Saved to wishlist!
Map and information sheet
GST (Goods and Services Tax)
Departure & Return
WMM8+RQH Otukou, Waikato, New Zealand
Park on the side of SH46
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Not recommended for participants with back problems, heart complaints or other serious medical conditions, or pregnant women
- Weather conditions can change, please dress appropriately
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a strong physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 300 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tongariro Expeditions
You can cancel up to 24 hours in advance of the experience for a full refund.
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the policy on face masks and attendee health during Tongariro Alpine Crossing Shuttle Options?
A:The policy on face masks and attendee health is:
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
What is the policy on sanitization during Tongariro Alpine Crossing Shuttle Options?
A:The policies on sanitization are:
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
Compare Similar Experiences
Tongariro Alpine Crossing Shuttle Options
Explore Similar Things to Do
HikingWalking & Biking ToursOutdoor ActivitiesTongariro National ParkHiking - North IslandHiking - HastingsHiking - RotoruaCategory