- Lord of the Rings Hobbiton movie set and Rotorua shore excursion from Tauranga
- Tour the Hobbiton movie set from The Lord of the Rings trilogy and The Hobbit
- Enjoy a tour of Whakarewarewa thermal region and Maori Village
- See the landscape of erupting geothermal activity, hot thermal springs and hot bubbling mud pools
Departure & Return
What To Expect
Stroll with your guide past hobbit holes belonging to the likes of Bilbo and Frodo during a 2-hour tour of The Shire, an actual New Zealand sheep farm. You’ll recognize scenes from The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings trilogies, including the party tree, the Mill and the Green Dragon Inn, where you can finish your Hobbiton tour with a mug of beer, cider or ginger beer (own expense).
Back on board the bus, continue into Rotorua via the Mamaku mountain range. After a stop for lunch (own expense) beside Lake Rotorua, you’re treated to a traditional welcome into the authentic Maori village of Whakarewarewa.
Accompanied by a Maori guide, witness the astounding thermal activity of Rotorua’s bubbling hot springs and mud pools, and watch Pohutu Geyser erupt. Learn how New Zealand’s indigenous people made use of the region, bathing in the hot springs and cooking over steam vents.
Step foot inside Whare Tupuna, a Maori meeting house designed with symbolic wood carvings. Hear songs, see dances and discover Maori customs during a demonstration of warlike fighting skills included in the haka dance.
Your driver takes a separate route on the return trip and, if time allows, stops for an impromptu photo shoot in a redwood forest. You can use provided hats, cloaks, staffs and swords to pose as Gandalf or your favorite hobbit from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit before drop-off at the cruise port.
Worry-free Shore Excursion:We will ensure your timely return to the Tauranga port for this activity. In the rare event your ship has departed, we will arrange for transportation to the next port-of call. If your ship is delayed and you are unable to attend this activity, your money will be refunded. See our terms and conditions for full details.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Please wear comfortable clothing and walking shoes
- Please bring sun protection and a light jacket for cooler weather
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 19 travelers
- OPERATED BY Zealandier Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.