- 4-hour trip to Mt Vesuvius from Sorrento by air-conditioned coach
- Enjoy a scenic journey along the coastline and through traditional Italian towns
- Admire sweeping views of the Bay of Naples and the Sorrento Peninsula from the summit
- Explore the top of the crater with an expert guide
- Learn about the infamous eruption that destroyed the Roman towns of Pompeii and Herculaneum
Departure & Return
Please arrive 1 minute before your selected start time for pickup. Your operator can coordinate exact time and location.
What To Expect
Wind along a scenic coastline beside pretty towns, and then after about an hour, begin the ascent up Mt. Vesuvius. As the coach makes its way up the mountain, your guide sets the scene with the story of the massive eruptions that took place here more than 2,000 years ago. The thriving ancient Roman cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum were both inundated with ash, killing roughly 16,000 people and burying entire towns.
The coach climbs to nearly 3,300 feet (1,000 meters), where you’ll have an opportunity to enjoy a thrilling 360-degree view that includes the Sorrentine Peninsula, the Bay of Naples, the island of Capri, and the city of Naples far below.
You can even join your guide for a walk up to the crater itself, learning about the geology and history of the area along the way. Look into the crater of this dormant - but still active - volcano and marvel at the devastation it once created.
After exploring on your own at the summit of Mt Vesuvius, follow your guide back to the coach for a relaxing drive back to Sorrento where you’ll be dropped off where you were picked up.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infant seats available
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY AVI Travel
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- "The hike was tough to the top of the volcano but it was worth it when we got th there." See review
- "Facilities on Vesuvius are basic to say the least, tardis toilets in that heat are not pleasant!" See review
- "We managed to reach the rim, take some photos and get back to the bus with only a few minutes to spare and we were among the quicker, more able bodied travellers." See review