- Full-day Tongli and Jinze water towns and courtyard house lunch and cooking experience from Shanghai
- Explore the canals, houses, and classical garden at Tongli water village
- Visit a courtyard teahouse in the rustic water town of Jinze
- Enjoy a home-cooked lunch, tea ceremony, and calligraphy instruction
- Join a dumpling-making class and savor your creations for supper
- Small group of eight travelers or fewer
- Entrance fees, lunch, drinks, dumpling supper, and pickup and drop-off at central Shanghai hotels included
Departure & Return
Hmm...we can’t seem to find this place. Please check the spelling, or choose another location.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
Pass through Shanghai’s suburbs, and hear all about your destination: the ancient water town Tongli south of Suzhou. With a history of 1,500 years, Tongli boasts an old canal system and lakes, and offers a glimpse into the customs of old China, with many residents still living much as their ancestors did.
On arrival, hop out and enjoy a walking tour of Tongli’s picturesque canal sides and alleyways. Admire the tree-lined waterfronts, stone houses, and antique bridges, and stroll around the exquisite, UNESCO-listed Retreat and Reflection Garden, a 19th-century oasis of winding paths, reflecting ponds, and pavilions.
Next, continue west to the water village of Jinze, also famous for its canals, bridges, and old architecture — with some buildings dating to the Song dynasty of the 10th century. Absorb the atmosphere of this primitive village, whose lifestyle is hardly touched by time or tourism, and visit a courtyard teahouse for an 8-course home-cooked lunch.
See your home chef at work in the kitchen, and then enjoy the traditional dishes with drinks such as fresh juice, wine, beer, and tea. Afterward, enjoy a Chinese tea ceremony, sampling delicate teas, and hearing about the different leaves, tea sets, and ritual’s history. If you wish, try some Chinese calligraphy, learning how to read and write particular words with a traditional brush and ink.
Next, join in a dumpling making session led by your host. Watch as they manipulate the dough, and then make and cook three versions of these tasty parcels before enjoying them as a light, early supper.
Your trip then ends with an evening drop-off at your central Shanghai hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age is 3 years
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 2 paying adults
- A maximum of 8 people per booking
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Please wear comfortable shoes
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infant seats available
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 8 travelers
- OPERATED BY Miki Tours & Transfer and Tickets Service Shanghai
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.