- Evening kayaking trip on Lake Rotoiti with visits to hot pools and glowworm caves, from Rotorua
- Soak in natural hot springs during a visit to the southern lakeshore
- Feast on a picnic barbecue dinner at the hot pools
- Stop to see glowworms and crayfish at two caves only accessible by boat
- Includes all equipment and instruction from an expert guide, no experience necessary
- Hotel pickup and drop off is provided
Departure & Return
Hangar 14s, Take the driveway on the left as you come into the airport. Go past the first few hangars and you will see a big raft & kayak on the side of the building and free parking out the front.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Follow your guide past holiday homes that sprinkle the lakeshore, and learn about regional history, Maori legends, and New Zealand's native flora. About halfway into your kayak excursion, arrive at natural hot springs where you can soak and swim in the pools fed by Lak Rotoiti's thermal waters.
At the hot pools, dig into a barbecue picnic that may include steak, gourmet sausages, a choice of salads and dessert.
After dinner, paddle to several caves that can only be reached by boat. Be mesmerized by the light of glowworms illuminating cavern walls, then continue to a second cave inhabited by koura—small freshwater crayfish. Marvel at the sunset reflected on the water and, as evening turns to dusk, follow your guide back to the boat launch.
Back at the base, you can change into dry clothing before being transported back to your Rotorua hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- Please bring swimwear, shorts and a towel
- Maximum of 20 people
- Minimum age is 5 years
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 16 travelers
- OPERATED BY River Rats Raft Kayak
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "We had to chang the date of our tour because of low demand the day we first selected, but we were able to do it and totally worth it." See review