- St. Peter’s Basilica tour including the dome and papal crypt
- See the Swiss Guard in St. Peter’s Square without the daytime crowds
- Walk up the steps of the dome for incredible views of Rome
- Tour St. Peter’s Basilica and learn about its centuries-old history
- Visit the papal crypt, and hear the stories behind the tombs
- Enjoy a personalized, small-group tour for just 15 people
Departure & Return
In front of 'Bar Leonina', in Piazza Citta' Leonina, just outside St. Peter's Square.
On St. Peter's terrace
What To Expect
At this early time, you’ll stroll around St. Peter’s Square without the crowds that appear later in the day. See the Swiss Guard in their colorful attire as you make your way to the dome of St. Peter’s Basilica. With your small group and guide, you’ll take the elevator to the dome’s first terrace to admire its intricate mosaics and other close-up details.
The summit of the dome sits atop of 231 steps; there’s no quick way up, but the view from the top rewards your efforts. Have your camera ready to capture a stunning panorama of Rome, stretched out from St. Peter’s Square to the Tiber River and beyond.
Make your way back down the steps, then take a tour of the basilica itself. See Bernini’s famous bronze baldachin and La Pietà, an early Michelangelo masterpiece. Rub the foot of a sacred statue for luck, and hear the history that’s steeped into the walls of the grand basilica.
Before you leave, you’ll visit the papal crypt. Discover the most significant tombs, and listen to stories about the men whose bodies were laid to rest in the crypt. Your tour finishes here.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- From August 6th 2021, all Italy sites we visit will require clients and guides alike to provide proof of vaccination or a negative COVID test completed within 48 hours prior to entry. They will also require a legal form of ID matching the vaccination or test results. More info on the Italian Government website
- St Peter's Basilica may be subject to visit restrictions, including limited access to the Dome climb and Papal tombs. Your tour will be amended on the day to offer you the most comprehensive experience available.
- Unfortunately we are unable to accommodate guests with strollers on this tour.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Please remember that St. Peter's Basilica is a holy place and attire must be appropriate for the visit. Both men and women are asked to wear clothing that covers at least the shoulders and knees. Walks of Italy cannot be held responsible for denied entry due to improper dress.
- Please note, this tour is wheelchair accessible with some difficulties. We advise clients to contact Walks Customer Service Team to make further arrangements.
- Small bags and umbrellas are permitted inside the Basilica. However, large bags, pointy umbrellas and objects must be left at the bag check situated at the entrance of St. Peter’s Basilica, next to the official audio-guides desk.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Walks - Italy, Spain & Greece
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- "The climb into the Dome is not for the faint hearted." See review