- Half-day trip from Prague to Karlstejn Castle
- Guided tour of the Gothic-style castle
- Explore the unique buildings that make up the castle
- Discover the largest collection of panel paintings by Master Theodoric
- See the replica coronation crown
Departure & Return
Departure Point: The Yellow Kiosk of Prague Sightseeing Tours Address: Náměstí Republiky 3 110 00 Prague 1 Directions: Opposite the Municipal House (near Powder Gate)
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
As you travel, admire the Czech countryside and hear the history of the castle, a hilltop Gothic fortress founded by Holy Roman Emperor elect, Charles IV, in 1348.
After roughly an hour, arrive and ogle the views of the storybook castle, whose turrets and towers drape a hillside surrounded by lush forests. Then, either walk or ride a horse-drawn carriage (own expense) up to the gate.
Head inside for a guided tour of the buildings as you learn how Charles IV used the castle as a treasury for his coronation jewels.
See the Burgrave’s Palace and Well Tower as your guide shares the latter’s gruesome secret and continue to the five-storey Imperial Palace and its nearby towers.
Step inside to view the Chapel of the Holy Cross, home to 129 exquisite panel paintings by Charles’ court painter, Master Theodoric; and learn how the imperial regalia were kept safely here.
See a replica of St Wenceslas’ crown, and visit the Knight’s Hall, with its central late-Gothic altarpiece. Then, explore highlights such as the Chapel of St Catherine, a place of private meditation for Charles; and the Great Tower, whose walls are hung with paintings of Karlstejn and other castles.
Behold the spectacular views from the towers, and then descend back to Karlstejn village to finish your tour back in Prague.
Please note: If Karlstejn Castle is closed, the tour will visit Český Šternberk. Built in the 13th century, this fairy tale-like fortress perches above the Sázava River and town of Český Šternberk, and is famed for its rich stucco and weaponry collections.
rescos, paintings and other treasures, including a replica crown, before your return to Prague.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Confirmation for this product will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for travelers with back problems
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 29 travelers
- OPERATED BY Cedok
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized