- Port Arthur UNESCO World Heritage site 2-day pass
- Tour one of Australia's best-preserved convict sites
- See more than 30 historic buildings and ruins
- Take a guided introductory walking tour and harbor cruise
- Visit the Lottery of Life Convict Gallery, Museum and Convict Study Centre and Dockyards
Departure & Return
Tours depart from the foyer at the Port Arthur Historic Site Visitors Centre. The Visitors Centre also offers cafe/bistro, free parking, and visitor information.
|Monday - Sunday:||08:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
|Monday - Sunday:||09:00 AM - 05:00 PM|
What To Expect
You may visit and participate in the included attractions and activities in whichever order you prefer, but it’s suggested that you begin with the 40-minute introduction tour to orient yourself with the site and hear about the background of the penal colony and its prisoners. Then catch the MV Marana for a 20-minute harbor cruise, listening to onboard narration as you view the Dockyards, Point Puer Boys Prison, the Isle of the Dead Cemetery and Tasman National Park from the water.
In order to provide an educational yet entertaining way to explore the site, you’ll be given a ‘convict playing card’ with your pass. Use it to follow the life story of one of Port Arthur’s past prisoners, learning what he did to become incarcerated, his specific journey to the penal colony and what life was like for him and others in 1800s Australia and Britain.
Visit the Dockyards, where prisoners built high-quality ships in the 1830s, and listen to a ‘soundscape’ to hear sounds and voices from the active yard, making you feel like you’ve gone back to the 19th century. Then journey along the Convict Water Supply Trail, learning about the colony’s flour-production operation, and visit the Museum and Convict Study Centre to find out if any of your ancestors are in the prisoner database. In the old Asylum building, learn more details about life as a convict, and then check out the Commandants House and Junior Medical Officers House to see how the other side lived.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Operates in all weather conditions, please dress appropriately
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY Port Arthur Historic Sites
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 7 full days before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 2 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Any changes made less than 6 full days before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- For a 50% refund, you must cancel 3–6 full days before the experience’s start time.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "Worth every penny, I highly recommend visiting this beautiful precinct." See review