- Explore the picturesque village of Ogi while enjoying a lesson on how to make mochi rice cakes
- Admire the stunning views of the surrounding area rice terraces during a walk in the village
- Learn about the area's role in more than 1,300 years of rice farming
- Join a local farmer and his wife as you learn to prepare 'mochi' (Japanese rice cakes)
- Get a sense for daily life among Japan's countryside residents
Departure & Return
Departure Point1: Kyoto Station, Higashishiokoji Kamadonocho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, 600-8216, Japan
2: Ogotoonsen Station, 1 Chome-4 Ogotokita, Otsu, Shiga 520-0107, Japan
Traveler pickup is offered
JR Ogotoonsen Station (KOSEI LINE) is the starting point of the tour. Meet our guide in front of the ticket gate (there's only one gate at the station) at JR Ogotoonsen Station at 10:05 am.
We can also pick you up at JR Kyoto Station at 9:15 am in front of the 7-11 convenience store next to the West Ticket Gate (2nd floor). The pick-up charge is 4,500JPY/group. Your train fare is not included in the price. Please pay the pick-up charge by cash to our guide.
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- This tour will be hosted by a family from the local village community group. We carefully select our friendly and open minded hosts after having meetings and interviews to ensure the quality time of our guests. We guarantee that you will have a wonderful experience with all of our hosts.
- Child rate applies only when sharing with 3 paying adults
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at time of booking
- A minimum of 3 adults per booking is required
- A maximum of 10 people per booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- This tour may combine more than one group. We guarantee a small tour of no more than two separate groups with a maximum of 10 people in total. The above pricing is per booking, not for the total number of participants. Thank you for your understanding.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Tour Du Lac Co., Ltd.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Experience Visiting a Local Farmer and Mochi Rice Cake Making.
- "Fresh mochi is very very soft and tasty, along with the kinako soy bean powder and azuki bean." See review