Nara Afternoon Tour - Todaiji Temple and Deer Park from Osaka
- Tour UNESCO World Heritage-listed Nara by comfortable coach from Osaka
- Visit Todaiji Temple, one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples
- Explore Kasuga Shrine, featuring some 3,000 antique stone and bronze lanterns
- See more than 1,000 tame deer roam freely at Deer Park
- Enjoy photo opportunities of autumn colors or cherry blossoms, depending on the season
Departure & Return
Departure PointHotel Granvia Osaka, 3-chōme-1-番１号 Umeda, Kita-ku, Osaka, 530-0001, Japan
Return DetailsNamba Station, 2 Chome-3 Nanba, Chuo Ward, Osaka, 542-0076, Japan
What To Expect
Start your Nara trip by rail from Osaka to Kyoto, where you’ll transfer to coach bus for the drive to Nara to begin your excursion.
The city of Nara was founded in 710, when it was designated as the country’s first permanent capital. Nara, or Heijo as it was then known, was home to many of the most important Buddhist monasteries in the then-nascent Japanese empire, which made it a key center of political and religious power. As Nara’s power and influence grew, the city became a threat to the government, leading the country’s rulers to move the capital to Nagaoka in 784. Despite this shift in fortunes, Nara retains a wealth of important historical sites, including some of Japan’s most important Buddhist temples.
Stop by Nara’s Todaji Temple to start your trip. This magnificent edifice, constructed in the 8th century, is among the country’s most important religious buildings. Explore the temple’s Daibutsuden (Great Buddha Hall), one of the largest wooden buildings in the world, along with its immense bronze Buddha statue, which are just some of the treasures to be found in this incredible attraction.
Continue your Nara trip with a visit to its famous deer park, a unique 1,250-acre preserve where more than 1,000 tame deer freely roam. Admire these gentle creatures as they graze and wander the park, and stop to purchase special deer food, which the animals will gladly eat from your hand, if you wish.
Finish your discovery of Nara at the Shinto shrine of Kasuga, a serene site that features a collection of more than 3,000 stone and bronze lanterns. Hear an overview of the site from your guide as you stroll the shrine’s outdoor pathway. After leaving Kasuga, return by rail to Osaka’s Kintestu Namba Station, where you’ll make your own way back to your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Depending on the number of participants, JR train or a bus may be used for the trip from Osaka to Kyoto, and Kintetsu train or a bus may be used from Nara to Osaka. Please note that seating is non-reserved for the trip from Osaka to Kyoto and the trip from Nara to Osaka if using public transportation. Please note that seating is not guaranteed.
- Nara Nagomikan may be omitted from the itinerary if it is closed on the day of the tour, or as a result of traffic congestion.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Participants will walk from the parking lot to Todai-ji Temple (about 15 min one-way).
- At Kasuga Taisha Shrine, the tour does not include entrance to areas requiring admission.
- The order of activities and arrival times may differ depending on road conditions and congestion at destinations.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- OPERATED BY JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Nara Afternoon Tour - Todaiji Temple and Deer Park from Osaka.