Explore our promoted experiences
- Explore Manhattan’s Lower East Side like a New Yorker with a local guide
- Sample New York’s famous knishes and four other dishes
- Small-group tour offers a more personalised experience
- Receive insider tips and recommendations on where to eat in the city
Departure & Return
What To Expect
So come hungry for this fun small-group tour, where you’ll munch on the sample some of the best snacks and learn a lot about the history of the Lower East Side. Start off with some stroopwafel, which is Dutch for ‘syrup waffle.".
Next, try knishes, representative of the Jewish immigrants who once populated the area, at some of the bakeries that are still sprinkled around here. Munch on mozzarella in nearby Little Italy, today just part of Mulberry Street, but once a bustling part of town with thousands of immigrants from southern Italy.
Learn about the history of the neighborhood from your local guide. From Poles to Jews to Italians, many different immigrants have called the Lower East Side home and they’ve all left their mark. Also learn about the erstwhile African burial ground, where Africans, both enslaved and free, were put to rest through most of the 18th century.
Finally, step into chaotic Chinatown, where steamed pork buns and succulent soup dumplings compete for your taste buds.
The tour finishes back on the Lower East Side, where you can continue exploring on your own.
It’s advisable to wear or bring clothing that is weather appropriate depending on the season, as you’ll be outside for at least 3 hours. It’s also recommended you book the tour at least 48 hours before.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Children aged 5 years and younger are welcome at no charge
- Tour runs rain or shine
- Comfortable walking shoes recommended
- Maximum group size is 12
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Adventures USA
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by NYC Lower East Side Food and Culture Small-Group Tour.