Don’t worry—here are some similar options
- Privately explore the enchanting forts of Nizwa
- Drive through the spectacular Hajar mountains
- Visit one of Oman's most beautiful forts
- Experience some of the city's markets
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
What To Expect
Then, journey south deep into Oman’s rugged interior, passing the lush oasis towns of Fanjah and Birkat Al Mauz, and following the line of the jagged Hajar Mountains to the east.
As you travel, hear fascinating stories about Oman’s rich heritage and history, and, if you wish, tell your guide if there are any sights you want to see more of. Your tour is private, so the itinerary can be tailored to your preferences.
After roughly 1.5 hours, arrive in Nizwa, Oman’s former capital and once an influential trading hub, located as it is on a major route between Muscat and Dhofar in the south of the country.
Cruise by the palm groves around the town on route to Nizwa Fort. Admire the sight of this 17th-century desert fort, and go inside to explore its towers, chambers and courtyards as your guide explains how it was built to ward off raiders keen to enjoy the fruits of Nizwa’s strategic location and palm oasis.
Having visited the fort, ease down with a stroll around Nizwa souk, where the vendors peddle everything from rugs and pottery to silver Bedouin jewelry.
If you wish, buy some souvenirs (own expense), and then continue to the old oasis village of Tanuf and pottery town of Bahla, famed for its earthenware jars.
Next, drive to Jabreen, the site of one of Oman’s prettiest forts. Take a guided tour of the 17th-century castle to admire its elaborate wood carvings and the murals that grace its rooms.
Your trip ends with a drive back to Muscat and a drop-off at your hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A current valid copy of your passport is required on the day of travel
- Buses used for excursions are of the highest standard available. All buses are air-conditioned and equipped with a microphone.
- 4x4 vehicles used for the off-road safaris are air-conditioned with a maximum capacity of 6 passengers plus driver. All drivers are qualified off-road professionals, first-aid trained and carry cell phones. All vehicles are equipped with seat-belts and passengers are required to wear them at all times.
- Lightweight summer clothing is suitable for most of the year, but sweaters or jackets may be needed for the winter months, especially in the evenings. Good quality sunglasses are advised, and photo-chromatic lenses for those who wear spectacles. Hats or some protection for the head are advisable when in direct sunlight. Oman has conservative dress traditions. Swimwear should be confined to the beach and hotel pools. Men and women should ensure shoulders and knees are covered when in public, especially in souks, shops and villages.
- Normal tourist photography is acceptable, but it is considered offensive to photograph Arab women. It is also courteous to ask permission before photographing men. Photographs of government buildings or military installations are not allowed.
- The tour operator reserves the right to cancel any part of this tour for reasons of government decisions, public holidays, weather conditions, or similar.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This is a private tour/activity. Only your group will participate
- OPERATED BY Orient Tours
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Private Day Tour to the Enchanting Forts of Nizwa.