- 9-hour ‘Downton Abbey’ country locations tour from London
- Travel to the Cotswolds village that doubled as Downton in the hit TV series
- See the church and buildings used as the village pub, hospital, and home of Matthew Crawley
- Visit the real-life Downton Abbey of Highclere Castle and explore its rooms independently
- Hear behind-the-scenes trivia about the actors and making of the series
- Highclere admission fee and round-trip transportation included
Departure & Return
Please arrive at least 10 minutes early at your meeting point as the tour will leave promptly. The meeting point is at Gloucester Road tube station (Piccadilly, Circle and District Lines). A guide will be waiting for you next to the station exit outside the flower shop (Flowers Inc).
What To Expect
Then, soak in the views as you head toward Oxfordshire. Along the way, admire the rolling pastures and stone villages of the Cotswolds, the quintessentially English region of hills where much of the award-winning Downton Abbey series was filmed.
Arrive in the charming Cotswolds village that doubled as the fictional Downton, and hop out for a guided tour. Stroll through the pretty lanes to see the church and buildings that served as the village pub, the former home of Matthew Crawley, and Downton Cottage Hospital as your guide shares anecdotes and behind-the-scenes gossip about the much-loved series, and its actors and storylines.
After a bit of free time here, continue to Highclere Castle, the beautiful Jacobean-style mansion that served as the Crawleys’ family home in the drama. On route, learn about the castle’s 1,000-year-old history and intriguing snippets about life ‘above and below stairs.’
On arrival, take in the splendid gardens and turreted exterior of the 19th-century house, and head inside. Enjoy ample time to explore the above-stairs rooms independently using a self-guided information sheet, including the main hall, drawing room, and library. Immerse yourself in the world of the Crawley family as you walk around, building a picture of what real life was like here more than 100 years ago, in the era the series was set.
If you wish, visit the café at Highclere for a light lunch, or perhaps bring a picnic to enjoy in the beautiful grounds.
Afterward, relax on your return journey, ending your tour with a drop-off in central London.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 15 travelers
- OPERATED BY Brit Movie Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "The Castle tour was good, you go on your own, so you can choose your pace and what you want to see." See review
- "We always try to take a small group as we don’t enjoy the huge coach experience." See review
- "Overall the tour is good with plenty of time to explore the castle and grounds there are great places to have lunch set out in the gardens." See review