Nara Afternoon Tour - Todaiji Temple and Deer Park from Kyoto
- Travel by return motorcoach from Kyoto to Nara
- Enjoy the afternoon touring the sights of Nara
- Visit Todaiji Temple, one of Japan's most famous and historically significant temples
- See over 1,000 tame deer roam freely in the verdant 1,250 acres peaceful park
- Explore Kasuga Shrine, featuring some 3,000 antique stone and bronze lanterns
Departure & Return
Departure PointJTB SUNRISE TOURS DESK KYOTO, Japan, 〒601-8003 Kyoto, Minami-ku, Higashikujō Nishisannōchō, ３１ B1F AVANTI
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Start your Nara trip in the afternoon with a pickup at Kyoto Handicraft Center or Avanti Tour Desk near Kyoto Station. After your pickup, proceed by coach on your Nara excursion. The city of Nara was founded in 710, when it was designated as the country’s first permanent capital. Nara, or Heijo as it was then known, was home to many of the most important Buddhist monasteries in the then-nascent Japanese empire, which made it a key center of political and religious power. As Nara’s power and influence grew, the city became a threat to the government, leading the country’s rulers to move the capital to Nagaoka in 784. Despite this shift in fortunes, Nara retains a wealth of important historical sites, including some of Japan’s most important Buddhist temples.
Stop by Nara’s Todaji Temple to start your trip. This magnificent edifice, constructed in the 8th century, is among the country’s most important religious buildings. Explore the temple’s Daibutsuden (Great Buddha Hall), one of the largest wooden buildings in the world, along with its immense bronze Buddha statue, which are just some of the treasures to be found in this incredible attraction.
Continue your Nara trip with a visit to its famous deer park, a unique 1,250-acre preserve where more than 1,000 deer freely roam. Admire these gentle creatures as they graze and wander the park, and stop to purchase special deer food, which the animals will gladly eat from your hand, if you wish.
Finish your discovery of Nara at the Shinto shrine of Kasuga, a serene site that features a collection of more than 3,000 stone and bronze lanterns. After leaving Kasuga, return by coach for a drop-off at select hotels in Kyoto.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Some parts of road on this tour are gravel and steep inclines
- During the Gion Festival (July 15-16), drop-off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel is not available due to traffic regulations
- The tour may not visit Nara Nagomikan if it is closed or due to traffic conditions
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Nara Nagomikan may be omitted from the itinerary if it is closed on the day of the tour, or as a result of traffic congestion
- Participants will walk from the parking lot to Todai-ji Temple (about 15 min one-way).
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 44 travelers
- OPERATED BY JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Nara Afternoon Tour - Todaiji Temple and Deer Park from Kyoto.
- "WHEELCHAIR USERS BE AWARE THAT THIS TOUR IS NOT FULLY ACCESSIBLE This tour was great Nara deer park and Todaiji temple is fully accessible good paths everywhere and ramps on side of buildings." See review
- "You get on the bus at the designated time (very punctual), you go to the pre-determined destination, take photos, then get back on the bus to do it over again until you get back to your starting point." See review