- Walk through Sanjusangendo Temple, Japan's longest wooden structure
- Sweeping views of Kyoto city from Kiyomizu Temple
- Plenty of photo opportunities
- Informative and friendly guide
Departure & Return
Departure PointJTB SUNRISE TOURS DESK KYOTO, Japan, 〒601-8003 Kyoto, Minami-ku, Higashikujō Nishisannōchō, ３１ B1F AVANTI
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Begin your tour by meeting your guide at Avanti Tour Desk near Kyoto Station in the afternoon. The city of Kyoto today is home to more than 1.4 million residents, and as it has evolved, it has seamlessly blended its modern architecture with a wealth of religious and cultural structures that date back to the city’s days as Japan’s capital from 794 through 1868. Although the city has been ravaged by many years of war and fire, it was not significantly damaged by bombing raids during World War II, meaning many important ancient structures still survive to this day.
Head over to the visually-striking Fushimiinari Taisha Shrine, a wildly colorful building bearing bright-red columns and a green roof. The interior of this beautiful structure is perhaps even more impressive, harboring a series of immaculate gardens and placid ponds. Please note the tour will not enter the site’s Shin-en garden.
Next move on to Sanjusangendo Temple on the eastern edge of Kyoto for your day’s first stop. This beautiful religious site, home to 1,001 statues of Kannon, Bodhisattva and was built in the 13th century, is famous for being the longest wooden building in the entire country, spanning more than 394 feet (120m) in length.
Proceed next to the famous Kiyomizu Temple, stopping to browse the rows of pottery stores that line the streets leading up to the site. This elegant UNESCO World Heritage site, also known as Kiyomizu-dera, offers panoramic views of Kyoto and the surrounding area from its spacious terrace and many walkways lining the nearby foothills of Higashiwama mountain. When the tour concludes, drop-off service is available at select locations in Kyoto.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Pickup is only available at Avanti Tour Desk. No customized pickup location is available
- Some parts of road on this tour are gravel and steep inclines
- During the Gion Festival (Sakimatsuri, July 15 - 16), drop-off service to Karasuma Kyoto Hotel and Hotel Nikko Princess Kyoto will be unavailable due to traffic restrictions.
- Near public transportation
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Connections from this tour can be made to the "Kyoto Maiko Dinner" and "Kyoto Night Tour." Connections are made at Kyoto Hotel Okura or the Kyoto Handicraft Center.
- Please note that due to repair and restoration work, part or all of the Kiyomizu-dera Temple Main Hall will not be visible.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- Participants will walk from the parking lot to Fushimi Inari Taisha Shrine (about 15 min one-way). Thank you for your understanding.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 40 travelers
- OPERATED BY JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Kyoto Afternoon Tour - Fushimiinari Shrine & Kiyomizu Temple from Kyoto.
- "This is a nice tour especially if you only have an afternoon." See review