Arashiyama Morning Walking Tour, Bamboo Grove and Tenryuji, Jojakkoji,Togetsukyo
- 4-hour morning walking tour of the scenic Sagano and Arashiyama districts
- Enjoy a stroll through the tranquil Sagano bamboo grove
- Explore the Tenryu-ji Temple with your guide, widely considered Kyoto's best Zen temple
- Discover the Jojakko-ji Temple and admire its statue and pagoda
- Take a walk over the iconic Togetsukyō Bridge
Departure & Return
Departure PointMiyako Hotel Kyoto Hachijo, 17 Nishikujō Inmachi, Minami-ku, Kyoto, 601-8412, Japan
Return DetailsKyoto Station, Higashishiokoji Kamadonocho, Shimogyo Ward, Kyoto, 600-8216, Japan
What To Expect
Start your walking tour of Arashiyama and Sagano with a morning pickup from New Miyako Hotel. Following your pickup, proceed by coach to the tour starting point in Sagano, just northwest of central Kyoto, where you’ll meet your guide and start your walk.
Begin your walking exploration with a 2-mile (3-km) stroll through the lush bamboo grove in Sagano, admiring the fantastic views of nearby mountain peaks and the striking valleys of the Arashiyama area. Proceed next to Tenryu-Ji Temple, which dates to 1339 when it was established by Takauji of the Ashikaga Shogunate as one of the principal temples of the Rinzai Zen School. Make sure to check out the temple’s beautiful landscaped garden, which survives in its original design.
Head next to the Jojakko-Ji Temple, nestled in the wooded hills on a nearby mountainside. The temple is famous for its role in the Tale of the Heike, a work of Japanese literature that tells the story of Empress Dowager Kenrei-mon-in, who supposedly lived at the site. Originally constructed as a nunnery, this picturesque religious structure has a fascinating history dating to the 6th century. Keep your eyes peeled for the temple’s Jizo statue and hidden pagoda secluded among the area maple trees.
Finish your walking excursion by crossing the famous Togetsukyo Bridge (Crossing Moon Bridge), admiring the incredible views of the Hozu River below and forest-covered hills beyond. The current bridge is a reproduction of the original, reconstructed in 1934. Your walking trip ends with a return to Kyoto station.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Not wheelchair accessible
- If the minimum number of participants (2) is not met by 4 days before the scheduled date, the tour on that date may be cancelled.
- This tour uses public transportation with non-reserved seats. Please note that seating is not guaranteed.
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not recommended for pregnant travelers
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- As this is a walking tour, please wear shoes and clothing that are suitable for walking. The total walking distance for this tour is approximately 3 km.
- The order of activities and arrival times may differ depending on road conditions and congestion at destinations.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 25 travelers
- OPERATED BY JTB Global Marketing & Travel Inc.
If you cancel at least 7 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 2 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel between 3 and 6 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Face masks provided for travelers
- Temperature checks for travelers upon arrival
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Arashiyama Morning Walking Tour, Bamboo Grove and Tenryuji, Jojakkoji,Togetsukyo.