- Discover the quaint fishing village of Pulau Ketam on this tour from Kuala Lumpur
- See how houses and roads of this rustic community are built on stilts!
- Witness daily activities of fisherman and residents
- Savor authentic Malaysian flavors at a local restaurant (own expense)
- Visit two of Malaysia’s most famous religious landmarks: Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque and Thean Hou Temple
Departure & Return
Hotel pickups commence prior to this time, you must contact the local service provider to verify your exact pickup time.
After booking, the operator will contact you about pickup time.
What To Expect
Begin your trip with a pickup from your central Kuala Lumpur hotel. Pickups will begin prior to 8:45am, so expect details from your tour operator during reconfirmation of the exact schedule. You’ll then proceed on a 1-hour drive to the ferry terminal at Port Klang to catch your boat to the small fishing hamlet of Crab Island (Pulau Ketam).
After arriving on the island, set off on foot to begin your exploration of this one-of-a-kind community built on stilts above the waters of the area’s mangrove swamps. As you walk you’ll witness some of the key differences in daily lifestyle between the city dwellers and the island’s residents. Observe locals as they take a break on their front porches, walk past brightly-colored Chinese temples adorned with statues of marine creatures and spot fishermen as they peel shrimp for consumption in the local restaurants. As you might expect of this coastal city, Pulau Ketam is famous for its seafood, particularly crab.
Stop by a local restaurant to have some lunch (at your own expense) savoring the strong, vibrant flavors of Malaysian cuisine, a culinary style that blends a variety of cultural influences. After your meal, catch your included ferry back to Port Klang, where you’ll begin a short coach sightseeing tour of Kuala Lumpur.
Drive first to the ornate Palace of the Sultan of Selangor before heading to the Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Mosque. At almost 36 acres (15 hectares) the second largest such mosque in Southeast Asia and the biggest in Malaysia.
Make your final stop of the day at Thean Hou Temple, also among the largest in Southeast Asia. Check out the temple’s complex murals and many decorative details, providing a great example of Chinese artistic techniques. From here you’ll receive a drop-off back at your central Kuala Lumpur hotel.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please note that hotel pickup and drop-off service operates only for hotels within the Kuala Lumpur central city limits. If you are staying at the following hotels, please either make your own way to a hotel in central Kuala Lumpur or contact the local tour operator after booking to arrange pickup service for an additional fee (contact info will be provided on your confirmation voucher):
- Greater Kuala Lumpur: Majestic Kuala Lumpur, Le Meridien, Hilton, Cititel, Boulevard MidValley, Pearl International, Eastin Hotel Petaling Jaya, Crystal Crown, Armada, Holiday Villa Subang, Grand Dorset Subang, Petaling Jaya Hilton, Sunway Lagoon, One World Damansara
- Sri Kembangan: Palace of the Golden Horses
- Shah Alam: Holiday Inn Glenmarie, The Saujana, all hotels within the Shah Alam area
- Putrajaya & KLIA: Putrajaya Shangrila, Putrajaya Marriott, Cyberview Lodge, Equatorial Bangi, Pan Pacific KLIA, Concorde Inn KLIA
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Infants must sit on laps
- No heart problems or other serious medical conditions
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 10 travelers
- OPERATED BY Asian Overland Services
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.