- Cultural and spiritual tour of Kathmandu holy shrines that are listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Enter Pashupatinath temple, an important destination where Hindus pay respects to the god Shiva
- Learn about the beliefs and customs of the colorfully dressed Sadhus
- Visit Boudhanath, one of the world's largest stupas
- Enjoy lunch at a rooftop restaurant overlooking the Boudhanath stupa (optional)
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people ensures a personalized experience with your guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Hotel Marshyangdi, Chaksibari Marg, Thamel, Kathmandu
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
After this spiritual experience, walk for around 15 minutes to Pashupatinath Temple a 17th century temple dedicated to the god Shiva. During your visit, your guide will share details about Hindu beliefs and explain the religion’s emphasis on the cycle of birth and death. You’ll also witness the colorful garb worn by the site’s Sadhu monks. Hear an explanation from your guide about the monk’s beliefs, which focus on sacrificing material possessions to profess their religious devotion. Just outside the entrance to Pashupatinath is the location of cremation ceremonies which take place along the edge of the Bagmati River. Out of respect for the mourning families, please refrain taking photos or watching these rituals. You can also get your future read by a local palm-reader! Witness one of many cremations along the banks of Bagmati River, and interact with soot-smeared, saffron-clad, dreadlocked Sadhus.
As the sun goes down, brace yourself to be overwhelmed by throngs of locals as they gather around on the banks of Bagmati River on the eastern side of Pashupatinath Temple. Watch along with them the mesmerizing every-day ritual called “Aarati,” which is an offering of lights to Lord Pashupatinath. Make sure you keep near your guide and your group lest you get lost in the crowd of locals! Return a transformed person after this divine (and truly local) experience!
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- A moderate amount of walking is involved; comfortable shoes are recommended
- Please note that dress codes are conservative throughout Kathmandu; modest and respectful clothing that covers the shoulders and knees are recommended
- Please note that there has been significant damage to some of the sites visited on this tour due to the earthquakes in April and May 2015
- Maximum group size is 12.
- Please bring comfortable walking shoes and your own water-bottle. (If you’re travelling during monsoon season you might want to carry a rain-proof jacket or an umbrella!)
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour at the rate listed above. Please select ‘child’ above when booking. Children below the age of 6 are not permitted on this tour.
- Your Spiritual Nepal tour includes entrance fees to the UNESCO-listed Pashupatinath Temple and Boudhanath Stupa, which helps preserve local cultural heritage and ensures these important sites are maintained.
- Should you choose to have your palm read during the tour, the fee for the reading supports the local palm-readers who would otherwise have no access to tourist money.
- As the Delta variant of COVID-19 has proven to be highly transmissible and poses significant increased safety risk, effective September 1, 2021, travellers aged 18+ must produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination on Intrepid Urban Adventures tours. Children aged 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery, or proof of vaccination.
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 2 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Adventures - India
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Pashupatinath Temple and Bodhnath Stupa Tour from Kathmandu.