- 3-hour evening food tasting tour in Istanbul with a food-expert guide
- Go off the beaten track to explore streets rammed with cafes, ‘meyhane’ taverns and food stands
- Try local classics like flaky ‘borek’ pastries and ‘icli kofte’ (deep-fried meatballs)
- Sip on Turkish tea at a traditional tea house
- Sample a mouthwatering ‘islak’ wet burger and ‘meze’ appetizers
- Learn about the ingredients and regional culinary styles that have shaped Istanbul’s food
- Small-group tour limited to 12 people for a more intimate experience
Departure & Return
The Tünel (The Tunnel) entrance, IETT building in Karaköy, opposite Nordstern Hotel (Kemeraltı Cd,Arap Cami Mh., Beyoğlu (GPS: 41.022816,28.974877)
Taksim Square, near Independent Monument and Central Metro Station (GPS: 41.037048, 28.985860)
What To Expect
Begin with an off the beaten path walk through Istanbul’s winding corridors for popular bites and bevs. With your guide, discover how east and west cultures influence the culinary delights that drive this city’s intriguing food scene.
Make a pit stop and taste a piece of borek, a moorish pastry with meat or potatoes and a delicious cheesy filling. Then, wash it all down with a cup of ayran, a traditional yogurt beverage.
Next, stroll with the locals into a popular meyhane to enjoy meze favorites like patlican salatasi (eggplant purée). Pair your food with some raki, Turkey’s classic anise flavored spirit, as hear about the pastime of meyhanes and the different ingredients that help create Turkey’s tastiest plates.
Continue to a teahouse where the Young Turks, rebels from the early 20th century, formerly convened to unite the country in an effort to bring democracy into Turkey. Sip on Turkish tea here before you visit some yummy food stalls to partake in local food favorites such as midye dolma (rice-filled mussels) and icli kofte.
Gear up your sweet tooth as you enter the Çiçek Passage to indulge in Turkish delight and mouthwatering baklava, a flaky pastry smothered and stuffed with honey and nuts. Then, either try the Maras region’s beloved cikolata (chocolate) or some creamy ice cream.
Afterward, stroll to Taksim Square and satiate a craving you didn’t know you had as you bite into an islak or ‘wet burger’ known for its buns dripping in tomato sauce. Last but not least, stop for a Turkish coffee at a popular joint and relax here as your tour comes to a close. Feel free to stay here or return to your hotel at your leisure.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Near public transportation
- While Istanbul is quite liberal, please be aware that the standard of dress throughout much of Turkey is often conservative. To respect this and for your own comfort, we recommend modest clothing. This means clothing that covers your shoulders and knees for both women and men.
- For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
- Children under 12 years of age are not permitted to join this tour.
- Most travelers can participate
- As the Delta variant of COVID-19 has proven to be highly transmissible and poses significant increased safety risk, effective September 1, 2021, travellers aged 18+ must produce proof of COVID-19 vaccination on Intrepid Urban Adventures tours. Children aged 6-17 must present a negative COVID-19 test, proof of recovery, or proof of vaccination. View full policy at urbanadventures.com/vaccine.
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
- OPERATED BY Urban Adventures Turkey
For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Learn more about cancellations.
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
See all safety measures taken by Istanbul Evening Food Walking Tour.