- Day trip to Heidelberg and Nuremberg from Frankfurt
- Walk around the ruins at Heidelberg Castle with a guide
- See historical attractions such as the Old Bridge in Heidelberg’s Old Town
- Learn about Nuremberg’s complex history while exploring the center on a walking tour
- Admire the colorful architecture of the houses near Nuremberg Castle
Departure & Return
Departure is at 09:30 am at the bus stop in front of the Le Meridien Hotel, Wiesenhuettenplatz 38 in Frankfurt
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Heidelberg is Germany’s oldest and most famous university town — renowned for its baroque Old Town (aka Altstadt), beautiful riverside setting, and haunting hilltop Heidelberg Castle.
That’s where this tour begins, amidst the famous ruins of the Gothic landmark palace.
Heidelberg Castle was once one of the grandest palaces of the Renaissance era — and one of the most notable ensembles of buildings in the Holy Roman Empire. The ravages of war and the forces of nature rendered it a ruin, however. Explore the huge courtyard and ravaged yet magnificent terrace. Then visit the wine cellar to see the Heidelberg Tun, the largest wine barrel in the world.
Then head to the oldest part of Heidelberg, the Altstadt, which extends along the Neckar River for one mile. Marvel at its Baroque and Renaissance architecture among the newer buildings, narrow streets, and market squares, like Marktplatz and the Kornmarkt.
This medieval Old Town region is full of arts, history, science, shopping, eating and relaxing. Some of the points of interest here include the Church of the Holy Spirit, the most famous church in Heidelberg; the Kurpfälzisches Museum (aka Palatinate Museum) of art and archeology; Synagogue Square, a memorial to a synagogue that was burned down by the Nazi party in 1938; the Karl Theodor Bridge, commonly known as the Old Bridge, which crosses the Neckar River; world-famous Heidelberg University, the oldest university in Germany and much more.
From Heidelberg, it’s a 2-hour drive east to Nuremberg. Upon arrival, enjoy a walking tour through the city’s Old Town, admiring the beautiful timber-framed houses and cobblestone streets. Marvel at the massive City Walls of Old Town Nuremberg, which still run for approximately four kilometers.
Behind the walls, walk past the Craftsmen's Courtyard, where glass cutters, leather workers, gold and silversmiths, stained-glass painters and other artisans offer their wares for sale. See the gothic St. Lawrence Church, which was rebuilt after World War II; Nürnberger Christkindlesmarkt, Germany’s most famous Christmas market; plus Town Hall, German Renaissance artist Albrecht Dürer's house and the Imperial Castle courtyards, to name just some of the attractions.
Along the way, learn about the history of this beautiful and prosperous city — as the center of the Holy Roman Empire, to the days of the German Renaissance, the Temple City of the Third Reich, and the home to both the Nazi rallies and Nuremberg Trials.
See where German Emperors were crowned and where saints are buried. Find where the most famous and talented German artisans in history created their awe-inspiring works and where the colorful and lively markets have taken place for almost 700 years.
Enjoy some free time to sightsee and grab a bite to eat before the return journey to Frankfurt.
- Confirmation will be received within 48 hours of booking, subject to availability
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- Infants and children must sit in a child seat, which means they need a separate seat, no matter which age (legal regulation)
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 50 travelers
- OPERATED BY ETS-Frankfurt
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms