- Tour of Santa Maria de Montserrat from Barcelona, led by a guide
- Ride the cogwheel train up Montserrat mountain for panoramic views of Catalonia
- Visit the Benedictine Santa Maria de Montserrat, one of Spain’s most important pilgrimage sites
- See the 12th-century La Moreneta and learn about its importance in Spanish cultural and spiritual life
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Julià Travel Gray Line Spain, Estació del Nord, ground floor, platform 19
What To Expect
Begin your excursion by boarding an air-conditioned coach in central Barcelona, continuing on a ride through the scenic landscapes of Catalonia on your way to Montserrat. Your guide provides details about the region's history as you go, offering details about the mountain of Montserrat and the monastery that lies near its peak.
Upon reaching the foot of the mountain, climb aboard a cogwheel train for the climb to the peak, enjoying panoramic views along the way. Listen as your guide explains how hundreds of years of erosion have sculpted the striking pink rocks visitors see today. Make sure to also keep your camera handy for great shots of the mountain's unique rock formations with Barcelona and Catalonia in the distance.
Arrive at Santa Maria de Montserrat, the Benedictine abbey that occupies the mountaintop. Learn about the critical role the monastery plays in the cultural and spiritual traditions of Catalonia via an audiovisual presentation. Then check out the Royal Basilica of Montserrat, situated adjacent to the monastery. The Basilica is home to the 12th-century wooden carving of Our Lady of Montserrat, a sacred object also known as La Moreneta (the Dark One).
Spend some free time exploring the grounds at your leisure, stopping at the monastery gift shop for a tasting of three local liquors. Then head back to your air-conditioned coach for the trip back Barcelona, stopping at the original departure point.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Infants travel free provided they do not occupy a seat
- Note that the La Escolania children's choir does not perform in the afternoon
- Correct dress code is requested to enter the Basilica at Montserrat. It is not permitted to enter with tank tops, strapless shirts, short shorts or sandals
- The duration of the tour includes the round trip to the destination.
- Queues to see the Black Madonna may occur depending on season.
- Please note that there are different departure times depending on the seasons.
- Infants must sit on laps
- Most travelers can participate
- Please, be at the meeting point 15 minutes before departure time
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 30 travelers
- OPERATED BY Julia Travel S.L
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- Face masks required for guides in public areas
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Regular temperature checks for staff
- Paid stay-at-home policy for staff with symptoms
- "Also, bring a warm jacket as it gets really cold up there." See review
- "Also all restaurants close early so if hungry grab some food before going off on your own." See review
- "Expensive,its mainly the bus trsnsportation and guide spesks both Spsnish and English so you have to listen to both." See review