- Full-day tour of the West MacDonnell Ranges, from Alice Springs
- Marvel at stunning red rock formations at Standley Chasm, Simpsons Gap and Mount Sonder
- Visit the Ochre Pits and learn how Aboriginal people traditionally used ochre for ceremony and trade
- See impressive waterholes at Ormiston Gorge and Ellery Creek Big Hole
- Look for wildlife such as the black-footed rock wallaby, Pacific heron and white-faced heron
- Includes all transportation, expert guide, morning tea, picnic lunch and afternoon snacks
- Small-group tour with a maximum of 20 people allows for a more customized tour
Departure & Return
Departure PointTraveler pickup is offered
Please call to confirm pickup time prior to tour date. Kindly allow 15 mins for the bus to arrive.
What To Expect
Start with a walk at Simpsons Gap to see a natural rock amphitheater that is home to endangered black-footed rock wallabies. Next, head to Standley Chasm for morning tea and a stroll along trails lined with acacias, cycads, ghost gums and cypress pines. Continue on to Ochre Pits, where rock walls are covered by white, yellow and red ochre, used for sacred ceremonies of the local Arrernte peoples.
Enjoy a picnic lunch at Ormiston Gorge, a large waterhole surrounded by red rock and visited by waterbirds such as the Pacific heron and white-faced heron. After eating, drive to Mt Sonder lookout for views of a towering sandstone wall and Mt Sonder, one of the highest points in Central Australia.
Next up, visit Ellery Creek Big Hole, one of central Australia's most pristine waterholes. Cool off with a swim and hear from your guide about the significance of the geology. Then wind down your tour as sunset splashes over the MacDonnell Ranges. Have the option to join a sunset camel ride (October to March- own expense) for your final activity of the day.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Please wear strong, non-slip walking shoes
- Please bring hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, water bottle and swimwear during the summer months
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 24 travelers
- OPERATED BY Emu Run Experience
If you cancel between 4 and 30 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is a 50 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel within 3 day(s) of the scheduled departure, there is a 100 percent cancellation fee.
If you cancel at least 31 day(s) in advance of the scheduled departure, there is no cancellation fee.
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
Frequently Asked Questions
See all safety measures taken by West MacDonnell Ranges Day Trip from Alice Springs.