Marking midday with a single shot from the famous Grič cannon since the late 19th century, Lotrščak Tower is one of the oldest buildings in Zagreb’s historic Gornji Grad (Upper Town). It was built into the defense walls of the original 13th-century settlement of Gradec and closed every night at sundown; reputedly those who were left outside the walls overnight were in grave danger of being robbed.
As Gradec was gradually absorbed into present-day Zagreb, the use of Lotrščak Tower changed and down the centuries it has been a prison, a warehouse, a fire station and even a billiards club. The tower has been extended upwards since the 13th century; today the square, five-story tower houses an art gallery but most people visit to scale the spiral staircase up to the observation post to catch a glimpse of the bright tiles on the roof of St Mark’s Church and gaze out across the parks and Baroque mansions of Zagreb’s Donji Grad (Lower Town).
Browse. Filter. Book.
What's the best way to experience Lotrscak Tower?
- Zagreb walking culinary - Small group - tour
- Zagreb Private City Walking Tour
- Feel the Pulse of the City - Small Group Zagreb Walking Tour
- The Best of Zagreb including Funicular Ride, Cannon Fire at noon and WW2 tunnels
Things to do near Zagreb
- Things to do in Plitvice Lakes National Park
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Bled
- Things to do in Trieste
- Things to do in Koper
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Split
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Venice
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Central Croatia
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia
- Things to do in Istria