Yorkshire Museum Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The Yorkshire Museum chronicles millions of years of Yorkshire history, from the Jurassic period through to Viking and medieval times. Highlights of the eclectic collection include a 4.5-billion-year-old meteorite that came crashing to Earth in 1881, the hair bun of a Roman teenager, and a Viking sword.
Admission tickets for the museum can be purchased in advance or at the door. Pay a single admission fee to enter the museum or purchase a YMT (York Museums Trust) card, which grants you access to York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery, and the Yorkshire Museum for a year. Some multi-attraction York sightseeing passes include free entry to the Yorkshire Museum, and many other top Yorkshire activities and sights.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Home to some of Britain’s most-significant archeological discoveries, the Yorkshire Museum is a must for history buffs.
- Up to four children under 16 can enter for free alongside a paying adult.
- Leave luggage and large backpacks at home as there is no storage at the museum.
- Most of the museum, with the exception of a small portion of the first floor, is wheelchair- and stroller-accessible.
How to Get There
The Yorkshire Museum is situated within the York Museum Gardens in the center of York. Walking from York train station takes 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, ride the number 2 bus to the Museum Street stop. The nearest parking is at Marygate, a 5-minute walk away.
When to Get There
Yorkshire Museum is a popular attraction and can get busy, especially on weekends. For more elbow room, come after 3pm on weekdays when the museum is quieter.
York Museum Gardens
The museum is set amid the peaceful greenery of the York Museum Gardens, founded in the 1830s by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society. As well as a varied collection of plants, the gardens are home to around 40 different bird species, the ruins of the 11th-century St. Mary’s Abbey, and the York Observatory, a functioning observatory that displays a 19th-century telescope.
Address: Museum St, York, Northern Yorkshire YO1 7FR, England
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Yorkshire Museum
No results found!
Things to do near York
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Middlesbrough
- Things to do in Manchester
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Liverpool
- Things to do in Birmingham
- Things to do in Cambridge
- Things to do in Stansted Mountfitchet
- Things to do in Oxford
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in London
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Bristol
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in North East England