Things to Do in Western Anatolia
Perhaps better known by tourists as Pamukkale, Hierapolis is an ancient city of the Lycus River valley famed for its sacred hot springs.
There’s a lot to see at this UNESCO World Heritage Site, whose most popular attraction includes the thermally heated Sacred Pool where you can swim among the remains of ancient Roman columns, toppled into the water by various earthquakes.
Among the ruins are the remains of the Temple of Apollo (Apollo was believed by ancients to have been the divine founder of the city), the Gate of Domitian, the tomb of Flavius Zeuxis, necropolis (graveyard), the Plutonium (a cave believed to have been the entrance to the underworld), and the theater.
Among these, the theater is perhaps the most well-preserved. Constructed around 200BC, it could hold 20,000 spectators in its day. These days, just 30 rows remain.
Things to do near Western Anatolia
- Things to do in Pamukkale
- Things to do in Turkish Riviera
- Things to do in Aegean Coast
- Things to do in Dodecanese
- Things to do in Muğla
- Things to do in Sarigerme
- Things to do in Marmaris
- Things to do in Fethiye
- Things to do in Selçuk
- Things to do in Cyclades Islands
- Things to do in Crete
- Things to do in Cappadocia
- Things to do in Famagusta District
- Things to do in Black Sea Coast
- Things to do in Macedonia