Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception Tours and Activities
The largest Roman Catholic church in North America and one of the 10 largest churches in the world, this unique Roman-Byzantine building is set beside the Catholic University of America. The preeminent Marian shrine in the US, the basilica is dedicated to the Virgin Mary.
Designed by Charles D. Maginnis, an Irish-born architect famous for building churches all over America, construction of the basilica began in 1920 but was delayed by financial setbacks during the Great Depression and World War II. Formally opened in 1959, the basilica today boasts gilded mosaic ceiling work in the Redemption Dome and more than 70 individual chapels full of art and sacredartifacts.
Tours and Activities to Experience Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception
Frequently Asked Questions
- Washington DC Sightseeing Trolley Tour with 1 Stop
- Washington DC National Mall Night Tour - Stops at 10 Iconic Attractions!
- Things to do in Philadelphia
- Things to do in Pittsburgh
- Things to do in Newark
- Things to do in New York City
- Things to do in Brooklyn
- Things to do in Long Island
- Things to do in Buffalo
- Things to do in Niagara Falls
- Things to do in Niagara Falls & Around
- Things to do in Toronto
- Things to do in Boston
- Things to do in Charleston
- Things to do in Pennsylvania
- Things to do in New Jersey
- Things to do in New York