Things to Do in Vik
The enigmatic black beach that is Reynisfjara is located just a few minutes outside Vik i Myrdal, halfway between Reykjavik and Höfn. It features amazing cliffs of mesmerizing basalt columns, and it is one of the most heavily photographed and documented sites in Iceland, mostly because it is home to the mysterious Reynisdrangar columns that protrude out of the stormy North Atlantic Ocean. Rumor has it that the stacks originated when three trolls, pulling a three-masted ship to shore, were petrified and turned into needles of rock after being caught by surprise by dawn.
But more than just a piece of Icelandic folklore, the cliffs surrounding Reynisfjara Beach also play an important role during breeding season, as they become host to several bird species, including the much sought-after puffin.
- Things to do in South Iceland
- Things to do in Skaftafell
- Things to do in Reykjavik
- Things to do in East Iceland
- Things to do in The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in West Midlands
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in South West Ireland