Vienna Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
The Altes Rathaus was first built in the 13th century, but the majority of the present-day building stems from its 18th-century baroque redesign featuring details like the striking Renaissance portico and the monumental Andromeda Fountain by Georg Raphael Donners. The town hall housed the magistrate of Vienna until the 19th century, and now is where the Museum of the Austrian Resistance Movement is located. Join a bike, kick bike, or minivan city tour to take in the Altes Rathaus along with other top attractions like St. Stephen's Cathedral, the Vienna State Opera, Hundertwasserhaus, and the Albertina.
Things to Know Before You Go
- If touring Vienna’s old town on foot or by bike, be sure to wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- The Museum of the Austrian Resistance Movement is accessible to wheelchair users.
- The museum exhibits can be graphic at times and are not appropriate for all children.
How to Get There
The Vienna Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) is located on Wipplingerstrasse in the heart of Vienna’s historic old town and can be reached by metro line U1 and U4, getting off at the Schwedenplatz stop.
When to Get There
The outside of the Altes Rathaus can be viewed all day, but the museum is only open Monday through Friday.
The Museum of the Austrian Resistance Movement One of the city’s most interesting museums, the Museum of the Austrian Resistance Movement is dedicated to documenting and honoring the Austrian anti-Nazi movement through fascinating exhibitions that include photographs, original documents, and personal reports that detail the work of Austrian resistance fighters and the remember victims of the Nazi regime.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Anchor Clock (Ankeruhr)
- St. Rupert's Church (Ruprechtskirche)
- St. Peter's Church
- Hard Rock Café Vienna
- Historic Center of Vienna
- Bank Austria Kunstforum
- Vienna Museum of Illusions (Museum der Illusionen)
- Time Travel Vienna
- St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Freyung Square
- Mozarthaus Vienna
- St. Michael’s Church (Michaelerkirche)
- Sala Terrena at the House of the Teutonic Order (Deutschordenshaus)