Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
While you could duck into the Kunsthistorisches Museum for an hour, strategic planning helps make the most of even a quick trip. Choose a laser-focused visit based around a couple of collections, or opt for a longer stay with time to wander between galleries. Since the vast museum can be overwhelming, a guided tour ensures you don’t miss the highlights, while a skip-the-line ticket helps save time.
Things to Know Before You Go
The museum’s side entrance, located at Burgring 5, has barrier-free access for wheelchairs.
Wheelchairs are available on loan at the museum—reserve in advance.
Vienna City Card holders enjoy discounted access to the museum, although some tours of Vienna include admission.
How to Get There
The Kunsthistorisches Museum sits on Maria-Theresien-Platz in Vienna. Served by the U2 and U3 trains, Volkstheater is the closest underground station, while trams D, 1, 2, 46, 49, and 71 also stop nearby. Or, take bus 57 to the Burgring stop. Taxis are plentiful.
When to Get There
While a steady stream of visitors keeps the Kunsthistorisches Museum busy year-round, the expansive galleries rarely feel crowded. To avoid the most popular times, though, go on a weekday. In addition to the permanent collections, rotating exhibitions display pieces from around the world—check the museum’s website for upcoming events.
Visiting the Kunsthistorisches Museum Café
From the black-and-white floor to the soaring ceiling, the dome hall is a lovely setting for the Kunsthistorisches Museum café. Breakfast is served on weekends and public holidays, and the regular menu includes a mix of Austrian and international items. Reservations (which you can make on the museum’s website) are a must, and you’ll need a museum ticket to enter the café.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)
- Natural History Museum Vienna (Naturhistorisches Museum Wien)
- Leopold Museum
- Museum Quarter (MuseumsQuartier)
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK)
- Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
- Heroes’ Square (Heldenplatz)
- Neue Burg
- Temple of Theseus
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)
- Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben)
- Austrian Parliament Building
- Imperial Treasury of Vienna (Kaiserliche Schatzkammer)
- Sisi Museum