Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) Tours
The Palace of Doges is a significant historical site in Venice, with many travelers arriving to hear about the strict rule of the Venice Doges from an expert local guide. The site is most often visited on a two- to five-hour Venice tour and can be combined with a stop at St Mark's Basilica, once the private chapel of the Doges. Inside the palace, admire the many paintings by Titian, Tintoretto, and Veronese, and climb the narrow staircases to visit the Doge's apartments and the prison cells, as well as the ducal notary. Outside the palace is the Bridge of Sighs and the beautiful columns along the piazzetta.
The popular Secret Itineraries tour allow visitors, accompanied by a guide, into chambers of the palace not open to the general public. You'll see the secret chancellery where the delicate work of governing was done, the secret archives, the torture room, and the cell from which the famous writer Giacomo Casanova made his escape.
- The palace is best explored on a guided tour for an in-depth historical understanding.
- Booking a St. Mark's museum pass allows access to the three museums in St. Mark's Square.
- The palace is wheelchair accessible, and an audio guide is available for rental.
- The majority of palace tours include Venice hotel pickup and dropoff, although a few tours offer departures from Florence and Milan.
How to Get to the Doge's Palace
The Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale) is located next to St. Mark's Church in St. Mark's Square. The site is easily accessible by vaporetto (the public water taxi) on the Grand Canal or on foot.
When to Get There
Summertime is popular in Venice; be prepared for lines and crowds. The palace's hours vary seasonally.
A Haunting History
Recent Reviews from Experiences in Venice
173 Tours and Activities to Experience Doge's Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
Venice Super Saver: Skip-the-Line Doge's Palace and St Mark’s Basilica Tours plus Venice Walking Tour
Frequently Asked Questions
- Doge's Palace & Basilica: Skip the line tickets with audio guide
- Skip the Line: Doge's Palace Ticket & Guide Book
- Doge's Palace Guided Tour
- Legendary Venice St. Mark's Basilica and Doge's Palace
Things to do near Venice
- Things to do in Veneto
- Things to do in Treviso
- Things to do in Padua
- Things to do in Vicenza
- Things to do in Ferrara
- Things to do in Piran
- Things to do in Porec
- Things to do in Bologna
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Florence
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Milan
- Things to do in Pisa
- Things to do in Istria
- Things to do in Friuli-Venezia Giulia