At the bottom of the Turia Gardens, the City of Arts and Sciences is a collection of forward-looking buildings grouped around water features. Housing an opera house, aquarium, cinema, and more, the area visitors from all over the world. One highlight is the Hemisfèric IMAX Cinema, designed by Santiago Calatrava to represent the idea of an “eye of wisdom” overlooking a still pool. The cinema is housed in the “eyeball”, an opaque white sphere when viewed from the outside, but a movie theater on the inside.
The cinema has a regular programme of shows created to fit the IMAX format, such as films exploring the night sky, the underwater world, or other nature documentaries. Once you’ve finished watching a movie you can explore the rest of the complex at your own pace.
Things to know before you go
*Visitors must buy a ticket to see a show at the cinema. *The cinema is wheelchair-accessible. *The huge concave screen in the cinema measures 900 sq meters (over 9,600 sq ft)!
How to get there
The City of Arts and Sciences is located in the Turia Gardens park that runs through the center of Valencia. It’s easy to get here on foot – or as part of a guided bike or Segway tour of the city. Local buses 19, 35, and 95 stop at the complex.
When to get there
Valencia is on the Mediterranean with a pleasant climate all year round – although July and August can be very warm. The City of Arts and Sciences is open daily throughout the year – check before visiting for up to date show times at the IMAX cinema.
- Things to do in Benidorm
- Things to do in Alicante
- Things to do in Ibiza
- Things to do in Murcia
- Things to do in Tarragona
- Things to do in Zaragoza
- Things to do in Mallorca
- Things to do in Barcelona
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Toledo
- Things to do in Almeria
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Costa Blanca
- Things to do in Region of Murcia
- Things to do in Balearic Islands
- Opera House Valencia (Palau de les Arts Reina Sofia)
- Valencia Oceanografic (L'Oceanogràfic)
- Museum of Las Fallas (Museo Fallero)
- Mestalla Stadium (Estadio De Mestalla)
- Valencia Bullring (Plaza de Toros)
- House of San Vicente Ferrer
- Plaza del Ayuntamiento
- Valencia Cruise Port
- Valencia Old Town
- Admiral’s Baths (Baños Arabes del Almirante)
- Plaza de la Reina
- Valencia Royal Gardens (Jardines del Real)
- Valencia Central Market (Mercado Central de Valencia)
- Valencia Cathedral (Seu)
- Valencia Plaza del Mercado