Capitol Reef National Park
Capitol Reef National Park is a long stretch of land that includes some bizarre geologic formations, Native American petroglyphs and orchards planted by Mormon pioneers. Established in 1971, Capitol Reef is named in part for sandstone dome formations that are said to resemble the capitol building in Washington D.C. The park also includes a formation called the “Waterpocket Fold,” a 100-mile-long rift where ancient layers of the earth's crust have become visible as they've been pushed up over millions of years.
Native Americans had lived in the area around the 11th century – there are petroglyphs on some of the rocks in the park – and in the 1870s and 1880s Mormon pioneers settled nearby, planting orchards and mining minerals from the rocks. Today, some of the orchards still remain, and visitors can even pick the fruit for a fee.
In addition to simply enjoying the scenery, visitors can also go hiking and horseback riding. Overnight camping in the park is possible with a permit, and there's also a large official campground inside the park.
Tours and tickets to Experience Capitol Reef National Park
What are Capitol Reef National Park hours of operation?
Should I book Capitol Reef National Park tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Capitol Reef National Park 2021?
What's the best way to experience Capitol Reef National Park?
- The Coyote: 8-Day Southwest Mighty Five Adventure with your Dog
- 5-Day Utah Mighty 5 National Parks Limousine Tour from Salt Lake City
- Utah Mighty 5 National Parks 5-Day Road Based Limousine Tour from Las Vegas
- Utah Mighty 5 National Parks Limousine Tour from Las Vegas
Things to do near Utah
- Things to do in Salt Lake City
- Things to do in Monument Valley
- Things to do in Colorado
- Things to do in Arizona
- Things to do in New Mexico
- Things to do in Aspen
- Things to do in Vail
- Things to do in Breckenridge
- Things to do in Flagstaff
- Things to do in Sedona
- Things to do in Wyoming
- Things to do in Nevada
- Things to do in California
- Things to do in Oregon
- Things to do in Texas