Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets Tours
Read MoreShow Less
The historic buildings that make up Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets are home to a world-class collection. Inside are more than 7,000 masks and puppets from all over Indonesia and the globe. Everything from Papuan grass costumes to Javanese wayang puppets are on display, alongside masks from Japan, Africa, Venice, and beyond.
The Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets has no formal entrance charge, though donations are recommended for upkeep of the garden and collection. Walk through on your own, or take one of the Ubud art tours, which stop at Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets and typically focus on the Balinese and Javanese masks in the collection. The museum is also an occasional stop on tours of the wood-carving village of Mas.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets is a must-visit for fans of the visual arts and drama.
- The antique houses in which the collections are stored will appeal to those with an interest in Indonesian architecture.
- The complex, which has wheelchair access, features a cafe and gift shop where you can shop for masks.
How to Get There
The Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets sits on the fringes of Mas Village, near Ubud, a district famous for wood-carving. It’s not possible to get here by public transport so many travelers prefer to hire a private driver or join an organized tour.
When to Get There
The Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets is open morning till early evening, seven days a week and is rarely crowded. Check its website, or ask local guides, for details of the occasional performances that come through and be aware that the amphitheater is occasionally hired for private events.
Masks and Puppets in Indonesia
Indonesia’s 18,000-or-so islands are home to a fascinating array of mask and puppet traditions: masks feature in ceremonial dances on Hindu Bali, while wayang shadow puppets are an ancient Javanese performing tradition. Some of the most interesting masks on display at Setia Darma are from the east of the archipelago, with a distinctively tribal feel.
Address: Jalan Tegal Bingin, Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Admission: Free (donations welcomed)
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Setia Darma House of Mask and Puppets
No results found!
Things to do near Ubud
- Things to do in Bali
- Things to do in Seminyak
- Things to do in Kuta
- Things to do in Nusa Lembongan
- Things to do in Tanjung Benoa
- Things to do in Jimbaran
- Things to do in Candidasa
- Things to do in Yogyakarta
- Things to do in Gili Islands
- Things to do in East Java
- Things to do in Nusa Dua
- Things to do in Gili Trawangan
- Things to do in Central Java
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in East Nusa Tenggara