Built in 2007, the Tokyo Midtown complex is often called a “city within a city”. The Midtown Tower is one of the tallest buildings in Tokyo, at 813 feet (248 meters). The top floors house the Ritz Carlton Tokyo hotel. Traditional Japanese art is displayed at the Suntory Museum of Art, and design-related exhibitions are held at the mostly-underground 21_21 Design Sight gallery. For high-end shopping, head to the Galleria building, a stylishly designed shopping center. There are also a couple of outdoor parks—the Japanese-style Hinokicho Park and the Midtown Garden—to get your fix of nature among the high rises. Most travelers visit Tokyo Midtown independently.
Things to know before you go
- Admission prices to the galleries vary, but other parts of Tokyo Midtown are free to enter.
- Sculptures are displayed in many of the public areas of Tokyo Midtown, and offer a free and informal art experience.
- Some seasonal events are also held at Tokyo Midtown, such as an ice rink in the winter. Check what’s on while you’re in Tokyo.
How to get there
Tokyo Midtown is in the Roppongi neighborhood. The easiest way to get to Tokyo Midtown is via the Oedo Subway line. Get off at Roppongi Station.
When to get there
As Tokyo Midtown is made up of many different businesses, opening hours vary. In general, the shops are open from morning until evening, and the restaurants from morning until late evening. The galleries also have different opening times, generally late morning until evening. The Midtown Garden is especially attractive in spring, when its cherry trees blossom.
Visit the Tokyo City View Observation Deck at Roppongi Hills
Not far from Tokyo Midtown is another multi-use complex, Roppongi Hills. To check out the views of the urban jungle from high above it, head to the observation deck on the 52nd floor of the Mori Tower. There are three galleries with views towards different landmarks, plus an open-air deck.
- Things to do in Kanto
- Things to do in Musashino
- Things to do in Kawasaki
- Things to do in Kawagoe
- Things to do in Kamakura
- Things to do in Narita
- Things to do in Kyoto
- Things to do in Osaka
- Things to do in Sapporo
- Things to do in Busan
- Things to do in Tokyo Prefecture
- Things to do in Saitama Prefecture
- Things to do in Nagano
- Things to do in Chiba Prefecture
- 21_21 Design Sight
- National Art Center Tokyo (NACT)
- Roppongi Kaguwa Japanese Dance Cabaret
- Tokyo City View Observation Deck (Tokyo Sky Deck)
- Mori Art Museum (Mori Bijutsukan)
- Suntory Hall
- Meiji Shrine (Meiji Jingu)
- Nezu Museum (Nezu Bijutsukan)
- Akasaka Palace (State Guest House)
- Meiji Jingu Stadium
- Tokyo One Piece Tower
- Tokyo Tower
- National Diet Building
- Zojo-ji Temple