Eilean Donan Castle Tours
One of the most photographed sites in Scotland, the Eilean Donan Castle dates back to the 13th century. Built as a defense against the Vikings and used during the Jacobite rebellions in the 18th century, this loch-side castle was restored in the 20th century and is now a popular destination for weddings and tours.
Located on a peninsula in Loch Duich, this stone castle is surrounded by water and rugged hills. Take a tour of the restored interior to see what life was like here and admire historical artifacts, then take a stroll along the shore of the loch. You can also see the castle on many single-day and multi-day tours of the region, which also include other nearby landmarks such as the Isle of Skye and Loch Ness.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Wear waterproof shoes; the shores of the loch may be muddy.
- The castle is occasionally closed for weddings; check the website before a visit.
- Lockers are available on site for storing bags.
How to Get There
Eilean Donan Castle is located in the village of Dornie, which connects Loch Ness to the Isle of Skye. Most visitors arrive by car or as part of a guided tour that includes transportation from Edinburgh or Glasgow. The castle is approximately a 4-hour drive from Edinburgh.
When to Get There
The castle is open to visitors every day except for major holidays from February–December but is closed in January. Hours vary depending on the season, but generally run from mid-morning until mid-afternoon or early evening. The most popular time of year to visit is during the summer. The castle is occasionally closed for weddings, so check the schedule before visiting.
Visitors may recognize Eilean Donan Castle from the silver screen. In the James Bond movie The World is Not Enough, the castle was a secret MI6 base; in the 1986 film Highlander, it serves as the backdrop for the procession of MacLeod clansmen headed out to battle, and in the film Elizabeth: The Golden Age, it stands in for Fotheringhay Castle.
26 Tours and Activities to Experience Eilean Donan Castle
Frequently Asked Questions
- The Isle of Skye & Eilean Donan Castle from Inverness
- Skye and Eilean Donan Castle Small-Group Day Tour from Inverness
- 1 Day Tour from Inverness - Isle of Skye, Fairy Pools, and Eilean Donan Castle
- Torridon, Applecross and Eilean Donan Castle Small-Group Day Tour from Inverness
Things to do near The Scottish Highlands
- Things to do in Inverness
- Things to do in Northeast Scotland
- Things to do in North East England
- Things to do in North West England
- Things to do in Stirling
- Things to do in Aberdeen
- Things to do in Glasgow
- Things to do in Edinburgh
- Things to do in Newcastle-upon-Tyne
- Things to do in Yorkshire
- Things to do in Western Ireland
- Things to do in West Midlands
- Things to do in East of England
- Things to do in South West Ireland
- Things to do in Western Norway