In the heart of Sydney’s Central Business District (CBD), the Strand Arcade is a Victorian-style shopping center that houses specialty stores catering to a sophisticated clientele, as well as boutique showrooms representing a selection of high-end Australian designer labels and even a restaurant.
Named after The Strand in London’s West End, this shopping arcade was conceptualized in the mid-1890s by English architect John Spencer and opened its doors in 1892. It was the fifth and last shopping arcade built in Sydney during the Victorian era, and is the only one remaining in its original form. There’s also a restaurant—The Restaurant Pendolino—and an adjacent wine bar/food shop, La Rosa The Strand, both of which focus on Italian-inspired fare.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The Strand Arcade is a must-visit for fashion lovers and architecture fans alike.
- The arcade is wheelchair accessible
- Free Wi-Fi is available inside the arcade.
How to Get There
The Strand Arcade is located in the heart of Sydney’s CBD, between George Street and the Pitt Street Mall. It's about a 15-minute walk south of Circular Quay or five minutes inland from Cockle Bay Wharf. The Saint James, Town Hall, and Martin Place Stations are all within a five-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The Strand Arcade is open Monday through Saturday, but only some of the shops here are open on Sundays. It's busy on the weekends and later in the day on weekdays, but tends to get foot traffic pretty consistently all the time owing to its location in the heart of the CBD.
Shopping in Sydney
Sydney has plenty of excellent shopping districts, from the CBD that surrounds The Strand Arcade to the hipsterish Newton area, full of independent boutiques and cafes. If you're more into major brands than independent boutiques, the Harbourside Shopping Center and the Birkenhead Outlet Centre are great choices.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland