Due to its notorious nature, Kings Cross is best explored during the day with a guide who can shed light on the district’s colorful past and present. Walking tours give a more intimate glimpse into the area while night tours lets you see Sydney from a different perspective. If you’re looking for an introduction to Sydney, opt for a tour that combines Kings Cross with nearby Bondi Beach—some experiences also include a cruise on Sydney Harbour.
Things to know before you go
- Kings Cross neighborhood is a rough-and-ready alternative to the clean-cut Sydney CBD.
- Well-paved sidewalks mean that Kings Cross is easily accessible for wheelchair users.
- Just like in any Red Light District, be mindful of your belongings and avoid exploring Kings Cross alone at night.
How to get there
Kings Cross is 10 minutes away from the Sydney City Center by car. Kings Cross station is on the corner of Victoria St and Darlinghurst Rd. The station is on the Bondi Junction line and you can catch a train from Central, Town Hall, or Martin Place. Several bus services run to the Cross from Circular Quay.
When to get there
If you’re looking to sip artisan coffee in a cafe and stroll around Fitzroy Gardens, opt to visit Kings Cross during the afternoon. When the sun sets, the district takes on a very different persona, with adult entertainment options emerging in full force.
Things to See in Kings Cross
Look past the neon lights and adult stores and you’ll discover some impressive architecture in Kings Cross. Highlights include the art deco Darlinghurst Fire Station, built in the 1920s; the vintage Les Girls Building, known best as the Empire Hotel, which hosts weekly cabaret shows; and the El Alamein Fountain, built to commemorate the soldiers killed in a battle against Egypt.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland
- Sydney Jewish Museum
- Woolloomooloo Wharf
- Art Gallery of New South Wales
- Australian Museum
- Royal Botanic Garden and The Domain
- St. Mary's Cathedral
- Hyde Park
- Hyde Park Barracks Museum
- Parliament House
- State Library of New South Wales
- 360 Bar and Dining
- Sydney Tower Eye
- Sydney Tower Buffet
- Pitt Street Mall
- Oxford Street