Australian National Maritime Museum
The museum features all sorts of interactive activities —you can even test a submarine’s periscope and try out a soldier’s cramped bunk bed. There’s also a 3D theater and an immersive "Action Station,” along with a variety of special exhibits. The museum also has its own fleet, with many of the vessels accessible via guided tour. Harbor cruises are available directly through the museum.
Things to know before you go
- The Australian National Maritime Museum is a must-visit not only for ship enthusiasts, but also for anyone with an interest in military history.
- The museum offers a free visitor app for self-guided tours as well as a variety of guided tours.
- Snacks and meals are available at the on-site Yots Cafe, and visitors are welcome to bring picnics.
- The museum closes vessels when temperatures reach 96.8° F (36°C) and during heavy rainfall.
- Strollers are not allowed on some vessels.
How to get there
The Australian National Maritime Museum is located in the center of Sydney on Darling Harbour and can be reached easily by bus #443 from Circular Quay. From there, ferries depart to Pyrmont Bay Wharf every 30 minutes as well. Hop-on hop-off cruises and buses also stop at the museum.
When to get there
The museum is typically open year-round, except on Christmas Day. Check the museum website for details on special exhibits/events, and for information on which vessels are available to visit, as this can change.
Anchored in the harbor are a warship, the destroyer HMAS Vampire, a submarine, and an exact replica of the HMB Endeavour—the ship with which James Cook reached Australia in 1770. The submarine was decommissioned only in 1999 and is still in close to operational condition. Its diving alarm often gives visitors quite a fright.
- Things to do in New South Wales
- Things to do in Hunter Valley
- Things to do in Port Stephens
- Things to do in Byron Bay
- Things to do in Yarra Valley
- Things to do in Gold Coast
- Things to do in Melbourne
- Things to do in Ballarat
- Things to do in Noosa & Sunshine Coast
- Things to do in Hervey Bay
- Things to do in Victoria
- Things to do in Tasmania
- Things to do in South Australia
- Things to do in Queensland