Junibacken Children’s Museum
At Junibacken, filled with life-size sets and interactive play areas, kids can lose themselves in the world of storytelling. Best suited for children under 8, highlights include the chance to meet famous characters such as Mardie, Emil, and Karlsson on the Roof; a ride on the Story Train; a theater with live shows; and an enormous children’s bookstore.
Things to Know Before You Go
Admission includes all activities. Children under 2 get in free.
Junibacken houses a café-restaurant, bookstore, and a garden with an ice-cream kiosk (summer only).
The museum is wheelchair-accessible.
How to Get There
Junibacken is located on the island of Djurgården, close to the Vasa Museum. The closest metro station is Karlaplan in Östermalm, about a 15-minute walk away, and trams (line 7) stop at the Nordiska Museet/Vasamuseet/Junibacken station nearby.
When to Get There
The museum is open from Tuesday to Sunday and daily throughout July and August. Opening times vary throughout the year, but are typically midmorning to late afternoon.
Stockholm for Kids
Junibacken is a popular choice for those visiting Stockholm with children, but there are plenty of other fun attractions in the city to entertain the younger members of the family. The Skansen Open-Air Museum lets children experience 19th-century life in Sweden; the National Museum of Science and Technology has a special interactive zone for kids; and the Vasa Museum has a Family Trail to follow. There’s also the Gröna Lund amusement park, Skansen's Aquarium, and the Museum of Video Games (Spelmuseum).
- Things to do in Tallinn
- Things to do in Helsinki
- Things to do in Oslo
- Things to do in Riga
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Stavanger
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Western Norway
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Vasa Museum (Vasamuseet)
- Nordic Museum (Nordiska Museet)
- ABBA The Museum
- Tivoli Gröna Lund
- Skansen Museum
- Stockholm Archipelago (Stockholms Skärgard)
- Stockholm Royal Palace (Kungliga Slottet)
- Museum of Medieval Stockholm (Medeltidsmuseet)
- Royal Swedish Opera (Kungliga Operan)
- Kungsträdgarden (Kungsan)
- Stockholm Old Town (Gamla Stan)
- Nobel Prize Museum
- Stockholm Parliament House (Riksdagshuset)