Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque Tours and Activities
The Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque is the state mosque of Johor state in Malaysia; it is located just a few miles north of the Singaporean border. Sitting atop a prominent hill overlooking the Straight of Johor, the mosque was commissioned in 1900 by Sultan Abu Bakar; he was a highly respected monarch, widely referred to as the “Father of Modern Johor” by both his people and the international community.
The architect, Tuan Haji Mohamed Arif bin Punak, was largely inspired by English Victorian architecture, going as far as designing the unusually large four minarets in the shape of 19th century British clock towers – in fact, several other monuments in the area were built in similar fashion. But he also integrated pieces of foreign architecture as well, such as Moorish tile works and Malay features, in order to reflect the diversity of the local population.
The mosque can accommodate 2,000 worshippers at once and is commonly recognized as one of the most beautiful old mosques in Malaysia, thanks to its white-washed towers and ornate yet modest interior. It therefore doesn’t come as a surprise that the mosque is now listed as a protected heritage monument by the Malaysian Department of Museums and Antiquities. The mosque is also surrounded by a lovely garden filled with frangipani trees.
Tours and Activities to Experience Sultan Abu Bakar State Mosque
Questions & Answers
- Kuala Lumpur to Johor Bharu (JB) One Way Private Transfers
- Singapore and Johor Bahru Dual City Full-Day Guided Tour
- Private Johor Bahru Full Day City & Shopping Tour from Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Sentosa Island
- Things to do in Pulau Ubin
- Things to do in Malaysia
- Things to do in Thailand
- Things to do in Kuala Lumpur
- Things to do in Petaling Jaya
- Things to do in Penang
- Things to do in Medan
- Things to do in Langkawi
- Things to do in Kedah
- Things to do in Sumatra
- Things to do in Southern Thailand and Andaman Coast
- Things to do in West Java
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Southern Vietnam