Its proximity to Seville makes Itálica a popular half-day excursion from the capital of Andalusia. Tours of the archaeological site take visitors through the ancient ruins—thermal baths, a gymnasium, spectacular mosaics, dwellings for the upper classes (called domus), and a Roman amphitheater—and offer insight into what life was like during ancient Roman rule in southern Spain.
Recent reviews from experiences in Seville
Things to Know Before You Go
Itálica is a must-visit for history buffs and those with an interest in archaeology.
The archaeological site is free for European Union residents; there’s a small entrance fee for everyone else.
Wear comfortable shoes suitable for walking over uneven surfaces.
Remember to protect yourself from the sun and drink plenty of water.
How to Get There
Itálica is located in the small town of Santiponce 5.5 miles (about 8.8 kilometers) north of Seville. Buses 170A and 170B take visitors from the Plaza de Armas bus station in Seville to the archeological site. The journey takes about 30 minutes.
When to Get There
The best time to visit Itálica is between March and May when temperatures are mild and crowds are sparse. Expect temperatures in the high 90s during the summer months.
Itálica and Game of Thrones
Episodes from both the seventh and eighth seasons of the Game of Thrones television series were filmed in and around the Roman ruins of Itálica, also known as the Pompeii of Spain. Most notably, the ancient Roman amphitheater was the setting of the Dragonpit, where several key characters held a summit in the finale of season seven.
- Things to do in Andalucia
- Things to do in Cádiz
- Things to do in Cordoba
- Things to do in Benahavis
- Things to do in Marbella
- Things to do in Tarifa
- Things to do in Malaga
- Things to do in Faro
- Things to do in Granada
- Things to do in Portimao
- Things to do in Lisbon
- Things to do in Fez
- Things to do in Madrid
- Things to do in Costa del Sol
- Things to do in The Algarve
- Magic Island Park (Parque Isla Magica)
- Monastery of Santa Maria de las Cuevas (Monasterio de la Cartuja de Santa María de las Cuevas)
- Camara Oscura (Torre de los Perdigones)
- Basílca de la Macarena
- Museum of Fine Arts of Seville (Museo de Bellas Artes)
- Historic Center of Seville (Centro Historico de Sevilla)
- Casa de la Memoria
- Triana Bridge (Puente de Isabel II)
- Plaza de España
- Seville Opera (Sevilla de Opera)
- Baraka Sala Flamenca
- Inquisition Museum (Museo Del Castillo De San Jorge)
- Church of the Divine Savior (Iglesia del Salvador)
- Seville Bullring (Plaza de Toros de la Maestranza de Cabellería de Sevilla)