Jesuit Sacred Art Museum (Museu de Arte Sacra dos Jesuitas) Tours and Activities
Housed in one of Brazil’s oldest churches, the Jesuit Sacred Art Museum is small but filled with history. The church, Nossa Senhora do Rosário was built in 1690 and is representative of many Catholic churches constructed by the Portuguese at this
time, with its simple, white exterior and windows in neat blue frames.
The interior has an intricately decorated altar and some items used by priests centuries ago like candlesticks, crosses and religious scriptures. It holds an impressive collection of religious artifacts and baroque pieces, some dating as far back as the 17th century. This includes paintings of angels, saints, and biblical characters portrayed in various mediums, like woodcarvings, terracotta sculptures and paintings in ornate gilded frames. Another highlight is an 18th-century organ, the second oldest in Brazil.
Tours and Activities to Experience Jesuit Sacred Art Museum (Museu de Arte Sacra dos Jesuitas)
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina
- Things to do in Northeast Brazil
- Things to do in Altiplano
- Things to do in Amazon
- Things to do in South Coast
- Things to do in Patagonia