Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) of Serra Negra Tours
Read MoreShow Less
Inspired by the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue that stands watch over Rio de Janeiro, Serra Negra’s own Christ the Redeemer statue sits atop the Pico de Fonseca hill, affording views over the city below.
Take the Teleférico Serra Negra chairlift and be whisked to the hilltop lookout where you can gaze up at the 60-foot (18-meter) high Christ the Redeemer statue. From there, admire views over Serra Negra and the distant Mantiqueira mountains. For something more adventurous, opt to hike up to the viewpoint from town; the uphill walk takes about 30 minutes.
Things to Know Before You Go
- The chairlift takes around 15 minutes each way.
- One-way and return tickets are available; children under 8 are free.
- There is a cafe at the top chairlift station where you can buy drinks and snacks and take in the city view.
- The monument is not wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
The Cristo Redentor statue is located in the town of Serra Negra, 93 miles (150 kilometers) north of Sao Paulo for about a 2.5-hour drive. To reach the hilltop from town, take the chairlift from Praça João Pessoa square, or drive up to the carpark at the foot of the hill, and from there you can climb the stairs to reach the monument.
When to Get There
The chairlift runs daily from 9am to 6pm, year-round. It’s busiest on summer weekends, when you might have to wait in line.
Things to Do in Serra Negra
After visiting the Christ the Redeemer Statue, stroll the historic center of Serra Negra, where highlights include the early 20th-century church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário, known for its beautiful murals. Just outside the city is the Alto da Serra mountain; it's a popular spot for hikers as well as a launch point for paragliding excursions, one of the region’s biggest draws.
Address: Rua Cristo Redentor 157, Serra Negra, Sao Paulo 13930-000, Brazil
0 Tours and Activities to Experience Christ the Redeemer (Cristo Redentor) of Serra Negra
No results found!
Things to do near Sao Paulo
- Things to do in Southeast Brazil
- Things to do in Santos
- Things to do in Paraty
- Things to do in Ilha Grande
- Things to do in Curitiba
- Things to do in Rio de Janeiro
- Things to do in Balneario Camboriu
- Things to do in Florianopolis
- Things to do in Búzios
- Things to do in Foz do Iguacu
- Things to do in Puerto Iguazu
- Things to do in South Brazil
- Things to do in The Pampas
- Things to do in Belo Horizonte
- Things to do in Northwest Argentina