Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas)
Plaza de Espana was once a vast open field cultivated by the Taino Indian prior to the arrival of Spanish colonizers. It later became the starting point for soldiers as they paraded in regal fashion around the nearby palace of Diego Colon.
Today, this open square in the heart of Santo Domingo is a popular gathering spot for locals and travelers who want to revel in the sunshine while they take in the surrounding culture and street entertainment. Numerous restaurants and cafes offer an opportunity to relax with a cup of coffee, a traditional Dominican meal or a glass of wine, while the open space provides room for concerts and other performances.
The square is most often visited as part of a city tour—whether its on foot, Segway or bike. The nearby Bateria del Almirante is a perfect spot to check out stunning views of the Ozama River during daylight hours and visitors can also walk to the oldest commercial road in the city from Plaza de Espana.
Tours and tickets to Experience Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas)
Should I book Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas) tickets in advance?
How much does it cost to visit Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas) 2021?
What's the best way to experience Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas)?
- Santo Domingo sunset lights & sounds
- Full Day City Tour Santo Domingo
- Half day City Tour Santo Domingo
- Historic City Tour of Santo Domingo
Things to do near Santo Domingo
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Cruz Bay
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in Willemstad
- Things to do in Kralendijk
- Things to do in Philipsburg
- Things to do in St Maarten
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast