The main attraction of Boca Chica is its calm, shallow swimming waters, but nearby Catalina Lake is also a hotspot for water sports including water skiing, wakeboarding and jet skiing, and the coastal lagoon is fringed by a colorful coral reef ideal for snorkeling and scuba diving. Boca Chica is also renowned for its nightlife, especially during the summer months when the waterfront bars and nightclubs blast music into the early hours, and the party often spills over onto the beach. Alternatively, take a trip to nearby Matica Island, where the mangrove forests harbor an impressive variety of birdlife.
Things to know before you go
- Don’t forget to pack a bathing suit, beach towel, reef-safe sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat.
- The town of Boca Chica has a couple of small supermarkets, a post office, a pharmacy, and several souvenir shops.
- Lifeguards patrol this stretch of beach, making it an excellent choice for families.
How to get there
Boca Chica is a 10-minute drive from Las Americas International Airport and 30 minutes from downtown Santo Domingo. The most comfortable and convenient way to get there is by taxi or guided tour, but Caribe Tours and Metro Express buses also leave from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica about every hour throughout the day.
When to get there
February, March, and April offer warm, clear weather with the least chance of rain ruining your day at the beach. Come on a weekday, and you’ll practically have the beach to yourself. Expect more frequent rain and the possibility of tropical storms from June to November (particularly in August and September).
Best Beaches Near Santo Domingo
While Santo Domingo is best known for its historical appeal, beach seekers will find several worthy stretches of sand nearby for that dose of Vitamin D. You don’t have to leave the city to enjoy Playa de Guibia, a beach that’s popular with locals, particularly in the evenings. If you’re looking for a quieter beach experience, check out Juan Dolio Beach. This palm-lined beach is a bit further from the city than Boca Chica, but that means it gets way less crowded, even on weekends.
- Things to do in La Romana
- Things to do in Samaná
- Things to do in Puerto Plata
- Things to do in Punta Cana
- Things to do in Arecibo
- Things to do in Luquillo
- Things to do in Fajardo
- Things to do in Oranjestad
- Things to do in Kralendijk
- Things to do in Kingston
- Things to do in Ocho Rios
- Things to do in Trelawny
- Things to do in Antigua
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Los Tres Ojos National Park
- Columbus Lighthouse (Faro a Colón)
- Ozama Fort (Fortaleza Ozama)
- Calle Las Damas
- Museum of the Royal Houses (Museo de las Casas Reales)
- Plaza de España (Plaza de Armas)
- Cathedral of Santa Maria la Menor (Catedral Primada de América)
- Columbus Park (Parque Colon)
- Ciudad Colonial (Zona Colonial)
- Alcázar de Colón (Columbus Palace)
- National Palace
- Palacio de Bellas Artes
- National Botanical Garden